Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WCSS6 CARAVAN? LA to Hood River

Ok let's get something more official for the caravan to WCSS6

here is what I am thinking...

I will be leaving Los Angeles on Thursday morning early. Plan to drive a bit of highway 1. will go through San Francisco and head north on the 5 until I get to Portland. I guesstimage getting to Portland by Friday morning.

How does that fit everyone elses schedules and routes?

BW

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew, I don't recall taking 395 the whole (or most of) the way. When I looked at the route on a regional map, there was a relatively straight shot going this way: http://mappoint.msn.com/(iagf1h45w0fhlhmssrd4ji45)/directions.aspx?&StartName=89450&StartLocation=39.25165%2c-119.92560&EndName=Hood+River+Co.+%5bHood+River%5d+(county)%2c+Oregon%2c+United+States&EndLocation=45.51901%2c-121.65119&DataSetLangID=USA,409&RouteType=Quickest&RouteUnit=Miles Can't remember if it included Bend, but this looks like a good high-elevation route for those of us without A/C.

I think coordinationg actual meeting and travel days/times will be a more complicated issue.

I talked to Jeremy (subieman) the other day and he might be going up there that Friday. I don't know whats the easiest way up there, I'll end up following somebody who knows the route better.:grin: Eh, I'm a follower!

I talked to Jeremy (subieman) the other day and he might be going up there that Friday. I don't know whats the easiest way up there, I'll end up following somebody who knows the route better.:grin: Eh, I'm a follower!

I guess give me a day and a time you are leaving and I can always divert my route to meet up with you in Reno. It's 7 hours to Reno so if I still hold to my plan to leave on Thursday it should be ok.

BW

S'Ko, im planning on taking I5 to Weed, and I heard there's a highway that intersects in Weed that heads east toward Oregon and 395. If we were to do that, its possible we'd be able to catch up to the Nevada group. Im planning on leaving Friday morning or Friday night. Depends on how the work schedule goes. If I get Friday off, I might be leaving Thursday night, or Friday morning. I still have to pull up some maps and do some more planning.

-Brian

I haven’t had a chance to check out the route I'm taking yet. All I know is I'm staying far away from I-5 on the way up. I'm leaving Friday and returning home either Sunday or Monday. So far it's jibs, NVZeno, my buddy and I. Who else is going from this part of the desert?

I came up with some maps for everybody.

For those of you leaving From Reno, you can take 395 north and make it to highway 97 which should lead to Hood River: http://wcss.usmb.net/maps/Reno2wcss.htm

S'ko, and anyone else leaving from the sacramento area or south of there, have 2 options. We could hightail it on I-5 to Portland, then head east on 84 to Hood River. Or, we could take I-5 to Weed, and take US-97 east and meet up with the Nevada group in Klamath Falls.

Sacramento to Portland to Hood River: http://wcss.usmb.net/maps/sac2wcss.htm

Sacramento to Weed to Hood River:

http://wcss.usmb.net/maps/sac2klamath2wcss.htm

The meet would look something like this:

image_map.gif

As of this moment, im not sure which route im leaning more toward. Taking US97 will only add another hour to the trip. But if I end up leaving late at night, i might just take I5 to save time and B-line it to the show.

-Brian

Yeah Brian, great job on the maps..a meet-up in Klamath looks good. I guess we'll be hitting Bend also (discussed earlier), LOL.

Now I guess the only thing left to coordinate is the time to meet/travel. I'm looking at being gone from home Thursday thru Monday (so as not to be in a big hurry while travelling in a 22 year old car:-\ )

My 2 bucks

I was planning on taking a week off, so maybe I'll travel up with you guys and hang out for a day or two and then come back a couple of days after you. Maybe, but we'll see. I'm definitely looking forward to this!

Ok, im pretty sure i can get away with doing this.

Use vacation days (last 2) on Friday and Monday, and have Saturday and Sunday as my regular weekend. That'd give me from Thursday night until Monday afternoon to play :)

If we plan on meeting on hwy97, then we have to collaborate our times. I believe we could make it to the 97/395 split before you guys, given we'll be on I-5. But its still a good 4 to 5 hours to weed, then another hour or so to the Klammath Falls meet. How many other people are comming from the bay area and southern california?

-Brian

So far I am the only coming from SoCal.

There was a guy in Pismo Beach that mentioned he was coming,

Subaru Junkie, per mapquest it will take roughly 6 hours for me to get to you.

I should be able to get to you in one tank of gas. Are you leaving Thursday night? Also do you have a little motorola walk-about things? Would be good to communicate while traveling. I have two people traveling with me. It I take the BRAT it will be three drivers to two vehicles.

That was me from Pismo. I am gonna do my best to get my car "moving". Driving my 2wd DL wouldent be nearly as fun as driving my monsterized 4wd GL, if I could get it running by then.... I might have to kill my plans for a backpacking trip if I cant get this forking car running in time.

Brian, sorry I havent been online for a long time. Keep in touch, I'll see about meeting up with you somewhere along the excursion

-Mike