Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New discovery... late model XT seats BOLT IN to Loyales!!!!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TROGDOR!

TROGDOR!

Pastor of Muppets

• Members
  • 2,106 posts
  • Morgantown, WV

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:53 PM

Yes, you read it right! I snagged some blue XT seats out of an 88 wedge at the boneyard this weekend, and set to replace the gray ones in my blue interior today with them. I laid them in there to see how they would look... and whaddya know... 3 of the mount holes lined up perfectly, unlike the older GL/DL models.

Here's why...

85-89 GL/DL series cars only have 4 seat bolts, 1 at each corner.

85-87 XT's also have 4 seat bolts, 1 at each corner. The rear bolts are 3 inches farther back than the GL/DL ones.

87.5-91 XT's have 5 bolt holes. 1 at each front corner, 1 at the rear outboard, and TWO at the rear inboard. The one they added is a bit father back and takes a 16mm (:confused: ) bolt.

90-94 Loyales have SIX bolt holes on the driver's seat and 5 on the passenger. Similar setup to the XT's, just with another 16mm bolt added behind the first.

So... here's where it gets interesting. On these 88 XT seats... the 5th bolt hole lined up!! So, 3 bolts went directly in, and the fourth (rear outboard), well, it was a straight shot, just 3 inches too far back. Used a 3 1/2" M8x1.25 bolt to keep it from moving around too much, and the seat feels rock solid. Only other mod I had to do was to swap the lap belt buckle, as the XT buckles are smaller.

In summary... if both the donor XT and the recipient sedan/wagon have automatic belts, the XT seat swap is pretty much a bolt-in job! Unfortunately if you have an 85-89 car or seats from an 85-87 XT, you'll still need to do the old rail swap and mod.

#2 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:01 PM

no , but but with a few changes they will , bottom track on seat must be swapped , mine are in my dl right now

#3 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:34 PM

no , but but with a few changes they will , bottom track on seat must be swapped , mine are in my dl right now

So does tht mean he didn't really do it?:confused:

#4 TROGDOR!

TROGDOR!

Pastor of Muppets

• Members
  • 2,106 posts
  • Morgantown, WV

Posted 01 July 2004 - 11:08 PM

No, I actually did it. I think what Jim means is that when intalling the seats in an 85-89 car or using 85-87 XT seats you need to swap the seat rails. I had done that in my 2 87 wagons. It's not hard, but doing what I just talked about above is SO much easier- provided that you have the right car and seats.

#5 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 02 July 2004 - 12:08 AM

I don't think the sarcasm button on my keybard is working right:)

#6 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:05 AM

I don't think the sarcasm button on my keybard is working right:)

I read it loud and clear !_!j

TROGDOR: Thanks for the heads up. Now Loyale duders can have some tricked out seats!

#7 XT Fan

XT Fan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Norfolk

Posted 02 July 2004 - 08:25 PM

Are the XT seats better?

#8 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 02 July 2004 - 08:31 PM

yes, their sides are much more snug and grip you better when driving aggressively, and they look cooler. unfortunately, my wagon is an 86 and the XT6 seats I have for it will require the modifications mentioned above.
that's right, Chris, I still haven't put them in yet :P

#9 roxtar

roxtar

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Warrenton

Posted 03 July 2004 - 07:41 AM

yeah, but do the XT seats have the adjustable lumbar support like the driver seat does for the loyale?

#10 TROGDOR!

TROGDOR!

Pastor of Muppets

• Members
  • 2,106 posts
  • Morgantown, WV

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:10 AM

Yes they do. The driver's seat also has height adjustment. The seats from any XT6 or an 87.5 full time 4WD turbo XT have headrests that move forward and back.

#11 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,328 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 04 July 2004 - 01:30 AM

i bet the trogdor fit has to do with power belts, and a more similarity around that with the lotale anmd the xt floors based on the overhead belt structure.

i can imagine what trogdor nmeas, if both having auto belts, and the difference in the loy-a floor and the xt, one rail protruding slihtly farther past ithe mounting hole, hence the longer bolt

the ones i used in wagons, mine and jim's, mine from an xt6 (88? tom?) and jim's from an 86

on both i used GL-10 rails to swap the tracks, to preserve the height adjustments(gl seats would have no atatchment in back
the driver rails were a direct swap, but the slide lever interferes withteh xt adjustment, so the locking tabs have to be bent out, the cable has to be re-bent to take a little slack out.
the passenger seats have to get the rear holes drilled, a bolt and nuton each, and one side needs a spacer(lug nut works). any seat rail will work for the passenger, but you will lose the 2-door slide forward function from the rear foot lever. but i am certainly assume rx seat rails will work, it has to.

my application from the wagon, the seats swapped into the rx the same fit

#12 simpreza2

simpreza2

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Hudson Valley NY

Posted 18 September 2004 - 11:17 AM

Sry to bring up an old thread but I didnt want to start a new one b/c my question is so similar. I have 86 XT seats and want to put them in my 92 loyale. If I read it correctly then I need to swap the rails, right? Is swaping the seat rails hard?
thanks,
Jon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users