Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pulling MORE MPH out of a 2.5 Ltr.

Hi all again!

I've been looking through the board and finding out that getting 28-30 MPG is a myth. If look at the EPA milage!

Has anyone here REALLY try to pull ALL the milage they can? As in: Amsoil in the crank case. Synthetics in the manual transmission, differential, transfer case, rear diff? AND a K&N filter? Also putting a couple of more lbs of air in the tires?

SubeeTed

I've actually gotten slightly over 30mpg one time (with the A/C running, no less), but it was one solid "gas station to gas station" run on the interstate during a long trip. During normal mixed city/highway driving, however, I very rarely exceed 22-23 mpg. (Of course, I'm sure that planting my foot to hear the boxer growl from the Borla headers has absolutely nothing to do with that, though...LOL :) )

Guest Vickaroo

Tim wonders why we arnt getting the mpg on the new RS.5 like the sticker said... Well for one he puts his foot into it, and also likes to hear her growl, Mostly when we pass a sports car doing 95mph!!!!:brow: Vicky

Tim wonders why we arnt getting the mpg on the new RS.5 like the sticker said... Well for one he puts his foot into it, and also likes to hear her growl, Mostly when we pass a sports car doing 95mph!!!!:brow: Vicky

Wont get good milage till that engine is broke in :D

Sounds like you guys are breaking it in right !_!

When I first bought the MT 03 Forester, I pulled 30 mph off the first tank. I'm told this is highly unusual. It stayed that way for a long time... then after awhile, it dropped to about 27/28. I changed to synthetic oil at 10,000 and then i jumped back to 31/32.

I dont have a turbo or a lead foot. (If that helps) I keep on top of maintenance and I haven't done any custom work..

OH WAIT.

If you keep the interior clean and wash the car occasionally, and play 80s and 90s dance hits, the car goes faster too!

22-24 mpg around town mixed driving

26-27 mpg on summertime road trips w/ two big dogs, car fully loaded, and AC on. These are close to the projected figures.

Car is well maintained w/ Subaru parts (no K+N filter). Mobil 1 in the engine, trans., and rear differential.