Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my new console set-up with the 5 speed...

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

I went back to the slant console, and moved my CB up on top of the dash....

I was able to use the "coin tray" part of a 2wd ea81 center console, then I cut out the center of the original ea81 console to allow for the linkage, then I had to cut the ea82 console piece a bit, and just bolted the 2 together.

I'm finally all done with fixing/repair from Midwest2 :lol:

Looks good, Hey a couple of Q's. Your Radio piece you said is from 2wd car? what year?, and your 5spd set up, your not using the kit from Jerry? so if you can live with fabbing the trim up you don't need to modify 5spd linkage to do the 5spd swap? and finally your sig says "need 80 gl wagon blue stuff". I just witnessed a wagon with blue trim getting dropped off at the school, I gave it a quick lookover, in three months there will be nothing left of it, if I can grab something what might you be needing?

that is a "slant console" that was available in 80, maybe 81. I have seen them on DL and GL's. looking at the brochures, if you got the optional cassette, you got the "normal" console we all know...

the slant consoles were available in brown, brown with black facing around the radio piece (like mine), blue, and gray. my 80 GL wagon has a blue one, but the '80 blue is a brighter blue than the 83-84 blue....

I have a plate with my spot light/fan switches covering the hole where the ashtray was, then in the blank area to the left I have a AUX cig lighter type power socket that's always live, unlike the stock one which is only live in the ACC/RUN position.

Looking good!!!

What car did the radio part of the console come from? It doesn't look like my Brat piece. I need to find a piece to tie the dash to the console, might just have to fab one. Here's a couple of picks at what been done so far.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/member.php?uid=4453

no, the little "coin tray" that sits under the e-brake lever. that's the only piece. above post talks about the radio console.

I did not use Jerry's 5 speed kit. I used the 4 speed tranny mounts, drilled out to fit on the 5 speed. (I did mine so it raised the tranny up a bit on back, but looks like there's enough room to sit it lower) if you've had the mounts off, you will know what I'm talking about. this helped me to retain the stock 5 speed linkage... plus my lift set-up helps too.

all the linkage is stock 5 speed linkage

for the installation I followed the writeup on the USRM...

I wasn't sure what I was gonna do for the consoles, was planning on going all ea82 like yours, but since I only had the one ea82 piece on hand, I played around a bit to see what would fit and that's what I came up with. this way I still keep the ea81 high console, and use all the stock mounting points, etc....

I see, That makes me feel a little more ambitious about doing the swap. I can't afford the 100 bucks for Jerrys kit and wasn't sure I could do it if I didn't buy or fab up some new linkage. Did you know if you still need blue interior stuff?

If someone were to offer me a decent price I might part with this slanted deck..... They are soooooo hard to find. And when you do, they are often cut up. In fact - this is the only one I've ever found that was useable. I put that deck in - it's from a loyale - with a Kenwood trim ring I got at a stereo shop.

slanted_deck.jpg

GD

I'm sure I got the seat covers at walmart or k-mart.... but that was some time ago. this is the second vehicle for them :)

I put in a one piece driveshaft for now, planning for the 2 piece, but I don't have the welding skills to put the carrier bearing mounts in... plus it really doesn't look like I would gain much underneath if I did it....

I sent an email or PM about the parts I needed... did you get it?

not yet... I'm thinking of staying with the one piece driveline....

tonight Iput some sheet metal over the rust holes, screwed the panels in, then put down some original Brat carpet to cover it :)

I'm all set for the parade saturday morning if it's not raining....

do you need help welding? have access to mig, ac, and dc, and an auto darkening helmet!!, and the usual tools

i had a similar idea with trashwagon 5, it had the single piece center console that came to the parking brake acess, i had it somewhat chopped up for a cd player. i had a broken ea82 bottom console that i was able to stuffon the inside, but i squeezed it too narrow for the cover plate. put a piece of carpet where the boot wasn't

what i needed was the 2-piece unit, just the top(stereo0 and i could have mounted an ea82 lower console without much difficulty(console and plate, 2 screws an e-brake adjust cover)

nice to see a completed example:)