Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

converting AWD to RWD for drift...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:33 AM

Ok, old school 4wd subes, you remove the front axles, and put the stubs back in and have at it. RWD! Does this still work with the AWD? Anything different about the center diff in the AWD versus the old school 4WD? Any loss of power if it does work?

#2 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 03 July 2004 - 01:39 PM

Ok, old school 4wd subes, you remove the front axles, and put the stubs back in and have at it. RWD! Does this still work with the AWD? Anything different about the center diff in the AWD versus the old school 4WD? Any loss of power if it does work?

You have to remove the transmission, and remove the center diffferential/transfer clutch assembly, and have the spider gears in the differential (or the viscous coupling, depends on the year) welded. You are better off just leaving it, you can still drift an AWD car, it's just harder :brow: *cough* e-brake *cough*

#3 ScoobySchmitty

ScoobySchmitty

I am The Stig.

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • Kalamazoo

Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:03 PM

Actually on slick or dirt roads, AWD drifts quite naturally :D The key is to kick the gas in a turn, and let the rear slide out, steer in the direction of the slide, and feather the throttle to manage the drift. Easy, and DAMN fun!!!

ScoobySchmitty

#4 JonOfScio

JonOfScio

OMGZ!!! HATCH ATTACK!

• Members
  • 713 posts
  • Corvallis, OR

Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:25 PM

Well, not that I want to do that to my legacy or anything... but it was just a curiosity.

So the answer is no... but in order to do it, all that work must be done. Don't know if it's worth it.

#5 narenji

narenji

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Pomona

Posted 08 July 2004 - 12:04 AM

my 87 gl wagon is set up to drift, and like someone posted, you have to weld the center diff, and possibly the rear diff... when the ej20 motor was swapped in, the power of the motor kept snapping all the rear diffs, so now the car has a welded rear diff... works reliably, but causes fast tire wear.

#6 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:30 AM

You can make anything drift, on pavement, anyway. All you have to do is change the relative tire pressures and the tail end will come right out, especially if you pitch the nose in.

I used to drive a VW Scirocco on a road course, and as I recall we had about 42-44psi in the front, and about 30 psi in the rear. The body and suspension would flex enough in some turns that you could get the inside rear wheel up in the air, and if you tapped the brakes (while staying on the throttle, another technique to get FWD cars to go tail-out) the inside rear wheel would be completely stationary for the duration of the turn. Entertaining.

I've never bothered goofing around with this on our 97 OBW because my driving skills aren't what they used to be, and relentless understeer is often a Good Thing on public roads.

#7 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:15 PM

To drift my legacy (on dirt), I just let up on the gas at the start of the turn, then punch it. Letting off shifts the weight to the front wheels, letting the rear spin when i punch it. I've gotten the car close to broadside many times :banana: Only thing i have to watch for is trees. They always seem to pop up at the wrong time. I haven't perfected the exit yet, I still fishtail for a bit. main thing is to not let off on the gas at exit. bad times. I only missed a 20 in diameter pine tree by about 3 in. I was sh*ttin bricks.

#8 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 11 July 2004 - 05:41 PM

Maybe you take off your front sway bar. But then you may end up on your bump stops.

#9 kahoona

kahoona

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Catasauqua

Posted 18 July 2004 - 06:06 PM

Ever since I got my first Suby and feared that doughnuts were a thing of the past. Its a matter of practice. I turn the wheel hard to the inside of the turn while hitting the gas hard. The rear will swing out and stay out as long as you keep the gas on. Point the wheels in the dierction of the slide as soon as it breaks loose and steer with the gas. when its time to stop turning ease up on the gas and keep the front wheels pointing in the direction of travel. When the rear starts to catch and center itself hit the gas again to prevent the fishtail or a violent return of traction and you can mahe a smooth transition under full accell.Go play in the snow. Thats where to practice. Get used to having the wheels loose and using the gas to steer in the snow and the transition to dirt is easy. If y'all live in the south take a vacation in the north.
Kahoona

#10 XenoWolf

XenoWolf

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Tremont

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:12 PM

Learn to use your brakes to kick the rear out.. and I'm not talking about the E-brake. Enter the turn to the point where your front wheels are on the edge of breaking loose, transfer as much weight to the outside side of the car as possible and roll onto the brakes and watch as the rump roast end kicks out, while keeping enough gas to have the front pull you back out.

Takes a bit (note: a lot depending on how smooth you are) of practice, but its alot easier, cheaper, and more satisfying than chopping your drivetrain to bits and just hammering the throttle to whip the back out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users