Ultimate Subaru Message Board

from a friend, just passing it along

i am currently in the market for a decent set of coilovers. i have been on ebay and all i see is 2.5 rs and wrx springs. some of the 2.5rs one are labelled as "95-01 impreza 2.5rs". my question is will these springs work on my 95 LX. there are also some on there that say "97-01 on impreza 2.5rs wrx"

thanks for any and all advice

The problem isn't so much fitment, as it is damping. The stock struts will not have sufficient damping for the heavier springs, you need to do it as a package. If you go with either the KYB AGX adjustables or the STI V 5 struts and then a heavier spring rate you will have a balanced package. Just to give you a straight forward sure-fit, go with the KYB AGX struts for the wagon and a set of coilovers for the Impreza, although coilovers are not the only solution. You can also get excellent performance from many of the available spring sets. The 5Zigens are inexpensive and coupled with the AGXs will give you a well balanced and aggressive road suspension.

One final word on this upgrade; thinking of this as a system and not singular parts is what makes it all work. These heavier springs and struts need a heavier sway bar to help maximize them. I would suggest a 20~22mm sway bar to go with this. This will give you the over steer you need to make the car want to turn instead of grudging it through the corner.