Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have been playing around with this for 6 weeks now. I developed a short in the steering colum . As it turns out every time I would release the tilt lever , the horn would beep , and when i pulled the steering whell down into position it would beep as well . Turns out that the horn wire was rubbing up against the metal inside the steering colum ,there are 8 wires grouped together the horn wire is the one that was most at risque. The next wire would have been the Air bag wire thank god! that did'nt play out .

My question is: This short circuit problem caused my battery to run down a dozen times or so . My battery does not seem to want to hold a charge for more than a day . is there another short? or should I replace the battery ? how do I test the battery

perplexed

It is my understanding that every time a regular car battery is fully discharged it loses 10% of it's capacity. So, if you have run your battery dead 10 or more times it is basically junk. Batteries are cheap and need to be replaced periodically anyway, so that is where I would start.

It is my understanding that every time a regular ......car battery is fully discharged it loses 10% of it's capacity. So, if you have run your battery dead 10 or more times it is basically junk. Batteries are cheap and need to be replaced periodically anyway, so that is where I would start.
the battery is 4 month old ! and what is so rhetorical about the question ?

I think you misunderstood 99obw. That last line is his signature, and shows up everytime he posts.

Yes, it's possible to destroy a 4 month old battery.

The battery can be analyzed and load tested by most major auto parts chain stores, like Advance Auto Parts.

Checking for shorts involves placing a voltmeter between the negative battery cable and the negative battery post. There should be 0 volts, theoretically. Things like the ecu, clocks, and radios (things that are on all the time or have 'memory') will cause some draw, but only in milliamps, it would take months to drain the battery. Defeat these devices, and check the voltage. If voltage is there than ciruits on the car should be disabled (by pulling each fuse) one at a time until the leakage can be isolated. Then you have to go through each part of the circuit until you find it.

Boy, that was incoherent. Good luck!