Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Guys,

I finally had time to tear down the engine in my '96 Outback (2.5L) today. I bought it from a guy who said that it had a blown head gasket. Well...when I tore it down I found a relatively large crack in the cylinder wall going straight through to the water jacket. Anybody have (or know where I can find) a block fairly cheaply????. I really didn't want to purchase an entire engine for the car.

Thanks,

Todd

Guys,

I finally had time to tear down the engine in my '96 Outback (2.5L) today. I bought it from a guy who said that it had a blown head gasket. Well...when I tore it down I found a relatively large crack in the cylinder wall going straight through to the water jacket. Anybody have (or know where I can find) a block fairly cheaply????. I really didn't want to purchase an entire engine for the car.

Thanks,

Todd

Just another though on this. Does anyone know if it's possible to weld the crack and macine the surface? My machinist father says so but it's a lot of labor if that does not work.

Todd

Just another though on this. Does anyone know if it's possible to weld the crack and macine the surface? My machinist father says so but it's a lot of labor if that does not work.

i think it depends where the crack is. the way the cylinders can crack in the block, i don't think it is possible to repair.

someone just send me this link...

http://webdev.ce.utexas.edu/subaru/

this looks beyond the repair of welding and machining...

but in most cases it is not worth it. I can get a junkyard block pretty cheap hear in CA, far cheaper than welding.

If you are in a place where Subarus are fairly common get a replacement.

Well....If I could find one, I probably would. I can't find anything here locally. If you have any contact information for a place that would send a block, I'd really appreciate it if you could send it to me.

Thanks,

Todd

folks bring them in and never have the bucks to pick them up. Also most junkyards have a wire connection to see who has what. Get a local to put it on the wire for you.

they last time I wanted to rebuild a Volvo engine I found a whole running car for $300 for a block. Check the local pennysaver also if you have one.