Ultimate Subaru Message Board

general questions...

here are some random questions i would like an answer to if possible. please understand that i am mechanical equivalent of a 98 pound weakling.

i see alot of people have put a weber (carb i'm assuming) on their soobs and i was wondering what was the benefit over the fuel injection. also do you see any performance benefit from a k&n filter over your average filter?

also, i have a 90 loyale 4wd and i was wondering if there were any recommendations for spark plug and wires that i should look for when i make my next change. thanks.

Well, here's some general answers :-p

Dont change from FI to N/A, not worth the hassle. Besides, its a better setup.

Yes, a K&N filter will do wonders on your FI. Make sure you get all the adapters.

Theres alot of brands for plug wires, I suggest the best 8mm wire you can get. As for plugs, nothing but NJK.

Well, here's some general answers :-p

Dont change from Fuel Injection to CARB, not worth the hassle. Besides, its a better setup.

Yes, a K&N filter will do wonders on your FI. Make sure you get all the adapters.

Theres alot of brands for plug wires, I suggest the best 8mm wire you can get. As for plugs, nothing but NGK.

Fixed it for ya ;)

The Goat...within a week of reading this message board I learned that NGK or Bosch Platinum plugs are the choice...and you want a little more power/efficiency? Get an Accell SuperStock Ignition Coil it's number is 8140. And plug wires...I have no clue. Good Luck and welcome to the USMB!

One minor addition.

K&N makes a drop in filter for soobs that doesn't require any modifications.. cut the airbox and drop one of those in and your good to go.

Anyone know the Prart # for the "drop in " K&N???

Thanks,

Chris

Chris -

K & N for FI is #33-2010. '80 and up carby is #E-2970, '69-'79 is E-2630.

hti-johnson -

Issues with Bosch platinums:

1. Platinum is a worse conductor of electricity than copper. So, platinum plugs don't spark as well and put extra stress on your secondary system.

2. Bosch puts a very small amount of platinum on their plug to save costs. Check the cost of NGK plats to see how much a real chunk of platinum costs.

3. Bosch doesn't sell double platinum plugs. No issue for us EA runners, but for those with distributorless ignition, platinum is needed on BOTH tips since half the plugs fire backwards.

Incidentally, I pulled Autolite plugs out of my Sub when I did the tuneup. Didn't notice any difference when I put in the NGK's, but I sure FELT better with them sparking my fuel. Purist!

I used bosch platnums....crap is what they are. Id go with the bosch supers over the plats anyday. BUT...if i had choise of NGKs....then ofcourse, NGKs. I use a type of NGK Racing plug in my GL-10. I dont know that the 88 RX has, i have not touched it since it does great.

Otherwise, I always used the V-Power plugs, #6261 stock number at most parts stores.