Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

general questions...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 the goat

the goat

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • raleigh, nc

Posted 05 July 2004 - 09:55 PM

here are some random questions i would like an answer to if possible. please understand that i am mechanical equivalent of a 98 pound weakling.
i see alot of people have put a weber (carb i'm assuming) on their soobs and i was wondering what was the benefit over the fuel injection. also do you see any performance benefit from a k&n filter over your average filter?
also, i have a 90 loyale 4wd and i was wondering if there were any recommendations for spark plug and wires that i should look for when i make my next change. thanks.

#2 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,105 posts
  • WA

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:27 PM

Well, here's some general answers :-p
Dont change from FI to N/A, not worth the hassle. Besides, its a better setup.
Yes, a K&N filter will do wonders on your FI. Make sure you get all the adapters.
Theres alot of brands for plug wires, I suggest the best 8mm wire you can get. As for plugs, nothing but NJK.

#3 oobnuker

oobnuker

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • Oxford, CT

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:30 PM

Well, here's some general answers :-p
Dont change from Fuel Injection to CARB, not worth the hassle. Besides, its a better setup.
Yes, a K&N filter will do wonders on your FI. Make sure you get all the adapters.
Theres alot of brands for plug wires, I suggest the best 8mm wire you can get. As for plugs, nothing but NGK.

Fixed it for ya ;)

#4 beachbum

beachbum

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 431 posts
  • st.pete,fl

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:30 PM

hey turbone? why ngk? is that just ur preference? or is it something soobs should use? thnx bb

#5 oobnuker

oobnuker

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 522 posts
  • Oxford, CT

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:31 PM

hey turbone? why ngk? is that just ur preference? or is it something soobs should use? thnx bb

I believe NGK is OEM original equipment.

#6 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,105 posts
  • WA

Posted 05 July 2004 - 10:47 PM

NJK? Who the heck is that? :banghead:

Thanks Oob :rolleyes:

#7 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 05 July 2004 - 11:06 PM

One minor addition.

K&N makes a drop in filter for soobs that doesn't require any modifications.. cut the airbox and drop one of those in and your good to go.

#8 nicky nighteyes

nicky nighteyes

top billin'

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Berkeley

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:13 PM

I believe NGK is OEM original equipment.

that is correct, subarus came from the factory w/ NGK plugs

#9 beachbum

beachbum

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 431 posts
  • st.pete,fl

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:48 PM

cool thnx guys,something else ive learned:grin:

#10 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:43 PM

The Goat...within a week of reading this message board I learned that NGK or Bosch Platinum plugs are the choice...and you want a little more power/efficiency? Get an Accell SuperStock Ignition Coil it's number is 8140. And plug wires...I have no clue. Good Luck and welcome to the USMB!

#11 tizzle

tizzle

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 605 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 07 July 2004 - 01:03 PM

Use NGK's---Do Not use Bosch. I've heard many bad things about them, in subarus. Ngk's are meant to be used in our cars.

--Todd

#12 Chris W.

Chris W.

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Boise County

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:55 PM

One minor addition.

K&N makes a drop in filter for soobs that doesn't require any modifications.. cut the airbox and drop one of those in and your good to go.

Anyone know the Prart # for the "drop in " K&N???

Thanks,
Chris

#13 Partsman

Partsman

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • sunny Eugene, OR

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:35 PM

Chris -
K & N for FI is #33-2010. '80 and up carby is #E-2970, '69-'79 is E-2630.

hti-johnson -
Issues with Bosch platinums:

1. Platinum is a worse conductor of electricity than copper. So, platinum plugs don't spark as well and put extra stress on your secondary system.

2. Bosch puts a very small amount of platinum on their plug to save costs. Check the cost of NGK plats to see how much a real chunk of platinum costs.

3. Bosch doesn't sell double platinum plugs. No issue for us EA runners, but for those with distributorless ignition, platinum is needed on BOTH tips since half the plugs fire backwards.

Incidentally, I pulled Autolite plugs out of my Sub when I did the tuneup. Didn't notice any difference when I put in the NGK's, but I sure FELT better with them sparking my fuel. Purist!

#14 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 09:20 PM

I used bosch platnums....crap is what they are. Id go with the bosch supers over the plats anyday. BUT...if i had choise of NGKs....then ofcourse, NGKs. I use a type of NGK Racing plug in my GL-10. I dont know that the 88 RX has, i have not touched it since it does great.

Otherwise, I always used the V-Power plugs, #6261 stock number at most parts stores.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users