Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Subaru 2.2 interference or not

Is this engine interference? If not how did I trash the valves in it with a pully that came apart.

A little free advise the timing belts will go much longer than 60,000 miles but change them anyway and check those idle pullys, if you hear one squealing dont continue to drive like I did.

If they are not smooth rolling and have play in them they need to be changed.

I blew and idler pulley in Forsythe Montana, it was an EA-82, but lesson learned, change timeing(sic) components on time, or you do the time in a sleazy motel, but the people in montana are fabulous, a real 10+ croud, but the people in CoalStrip are hicks. :)

NoahDL88

Did you bend the valves and trash engine, or was you able to but new pully and belt and good to go? It sounds like your luck was a little better than mine. Whats worse is I am on vacation this week and was going to change mine. Even told a friend I was going to change it this weekend, and he said yes you could damage engine if it breaks. To which I said no not on this engine, I found out that is wrong.

The 1997 2.2 IS interference.

This is quoted from the 1997 official SUBARU new model introduction/ Techical training manual:

With photos of the new style 1997 piston it states that,

" The shape of the new piston has eliminated the clearance that WAS available between the piston at TDC and a fully opened valve."

This would imply to me interference.

Todd

I dont know about the pistons, but I am having a engine put in right now. The price I have in writing is around 1800.00 dollars for engine and labor. Today they called and now want closer to 2400.00. I told them to stick to whats in writing or pull it out by the fence and we would let the small court decide for us. The pan came bent on the engine and they want to charge me to take mine off and transfer it, along with some others things they are coming up with. I told them if the pan was damage to send the motor back and get another one. I was not going to pay them for that. Last word I had from them was they were going to stick to the price we agreed on, but they was not going to put my new belt or seals in for me as they had promised.

Chains are worse IMO. They're not indestructible, they can break, and chains stretch over time. Still need to change them periodically. Plus they're noisier and need lubrication.

I agree, everyone is under the impression that chains last forever. Yes they will go over 100k but chainign them is a much larger job and when they start stretching the will actually eat into the block of the motor. For example of my old 4 runner I had to spend over 20 hours to replace the timing chain, had to pull the head, pull the oil pan, etc. Very long job trust me.

I like chains! I only remember in my life seeing one car being worked on for timing chain, and growing up one of my friends family run a mechanic shop that we hung around. I also must admit most cars did not have the kind of miles we put on them today.

You often get the entire life of the engine on them. Subarus have all the weird seal leak problems and oil pump o ring, etc. Since you have to go in for those the timing belt isn't much more trouble, and I guess I can live with every 90,000 miles.

I like chains! I only remember in my life seeing one car being worked on for timing chain, and growing up one of my friends family run a mechanic shop that we hung around. I also must admit most cars did not have the kind of miles we put on them today.

Yes this is because most American V8 and 6s are only good for 100k miles then you rebuild them and change the timing chain. Timing Chain are good for generally good for 150,000 miles but you can sometimes push them longer. Just like you can push a belt longer. My brother has a 91 GL with well over 100k on the timing belts. And trust me you do not want to change out a timing chain yourself. What does a belt replacement cost on a Subaru? $250-300 range? If your car has a chain, you are talking $1500.00 and up.

really depends on the design of the engine and the amount of access you have in the vehicle.

I have changed a few in Chevys and Fords that were pretty easy. Usually the reason you had to go into the engine was a flat lobe on the cam, and as long as you were in there you might as well change the timing system. This is with the exception of a few Ford vans in the seventies that had plastic cam chain gears. This was not one of Ford's better ideas.

My last Mercedes would have been a pain to change the timing chain and the only time I did it was on overhaul. It also wore out cam lobes at about 150,000 miles.I changed the cam and left the chain.

A DOHC engine like my BMW M roadie would also be a bear to change. It has a couple of chains and two tensioners. Although some folks have replaced the tensioners and the cam timing devices I have yet to hear of anyone needing to replce the chains unless they were racing. a lot of these cars now have 150,000 on them.

Chains wear, stretch, and at high mileages make noises that indicate the need for replacement.

Belts run quiet and smooth. Then snap suddenly.

Fine for the first owner, but down the line, when the cars get into my (our?) hands, a chain would be preferable.

Also, since Subaru can't find someone to make reliable cam seals, a chain driven system would have the added advantage of removing the need for these leaky seals :-)

had to do practically nothing. She sold it at about 88,000 miles when it was due for everthing.

You are right Setright, as the second owner at around 90,000 miles it was due for darn near everything.

If it had been a Toyota is supect it would have still needed some items, like the brakes and struts, but head gaskets, timing chain, seals, oil pump sealing, defective clutch, and that danged little palstic slinger are Subaru only.

• 5 months later...