Ultimate Subaru Message Board

full time 4WD GL turbo

I see this red GL full time 4wd turbo sitting idle near where I work. I know It needs a new motor.I left a note to see if they want to sell it. It is an automatic tranny.

If I got it I would want to switch it to manual. My question is... How does the full time 4wd work? Would I lose the full time 4wd if I switch trannys ?

It seems weird that it's a turbo GL not a GL-10

Changing the tranny will change the drivetrain to whatever tranny you put in. Put in a Dual Range and you will loose Full Time and gain Dual Range 4WD. PUt in a pushbutton and you will have Single Range 4WD when you push the botton.

I have seen a couple other GL turbos with out GL10 packages. Seen a few GL10's with out turbos too. Go figure !_!

Lag,

I have one of those models (an 89 GL Turbo Wagon).

Personally, I am not a big fan of AT's of any kind. Even a base 2wd 5speed drives better IMO. But I will say the A/T's in those AWD models are the best of the lot. They also seem to stand up to abuse pretty well. My car was absolutely beat to sh*t, and the tranny still shifts smoothly at 130k. Fulltime AWD is a step above "on-demand 4wd" in dry conditions.

If you were to get that car, I would focus on getting your motor together first. You may decide you can live with the A/T after all. I'm not in any hurry to convert mine, though I'm sure I will eventually.

good luck, John

I see this red GL full time 4wd turbo sitting idle near where I work. I know It needs a new motor.I left a note to see if they want to sell it. It is an automatic tranny.

If I got it I would want to switch it to manual. My question is... How does the full time 4wd work? Would I lose the full time 4wd if I switch trannys ?

It seems weird that it's a turbo GL not a GL-10