Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I am new to your list because I just acquired a '90 Legacy. There seems to be a leak from the right rear, I checked your archives which suggested that the system could be changed over to struts and springs, has anyone done this? Is it something an home mechanic can do himself, or should I seek a shop? What will the costs be for; switching out the pneumatic system compared to replacing my leaking unit ? What are the advantages and disadvantages with both??

Thank you very much for your help,

Pat

Kilauea, Kaua’i

'90 Legacy Wagon

'83 M-B 300D (biodiesel)

Yes it can be switched over, and I'd suggest going that route, rather then trying to fix it.

Your best bet is to go to a junkyard and find a similar vintage legacy and get all four struts & springs with top mounts so you have all the parts. Then buy some new struts, KYB GR2's would be the way to go. Put the new struts & old springs and top mounts together. Then just swap everything out.

I believe there is a thread that has some detailed info on the swap process. Not sure about total cost. But I would think you could get the junkyard stuff for under 100 bucks. Struts would probably cost you under 300. If you do all the work yourself, you should be able to do it for around 400, and I would think definitely under 500.

Welcome to the board. How's it in Hawaii? I visited about 6 years ago, and dream of going back again :)

You might hafta deal with an idiot light after the conversion, and you can remove the compressor and air tank to save some weight, but all in all, don't bother trying to fix/replace the air ride, it's not worth it. My XT is having a slight sinking on one side, and when it gets bad, I'm swapping it out too.

Well, I live on an island of about 56k people and only one salvage yard. I make it there sometimes, but have not been in a while, but would be surprised if they had what I needed.

If I cahnge out the air system for springs, etc., could I make the car ride a little higher, or at least as high as the 'hi' position with the air shocks?

Assuming the rest of the system continued to work for a while, how much should a new pnematic shock cost? I imagine I could install it myself.

Thank you,

Pat