Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well, after 3 cold chisels, 3 drill bits, and more than 3 hours - I got the bloody axle nut off! :grin: Cold chisels alone just didn't seem to do the job, so I tried an old woodworking mortise-slot cutting trick - drill a series of holes and then use those as weak points to split it. And it really made the difference - just have to be very careful not to drill through to the hub...

After that, it was all downhill - the axle was easy except getting the spring pin in and out (access from the engine side was difficult at best, and the oxygen sensor was right in the way from below). Next time this axle will be easier! I can't wait until the other one goes out :banghead: since it looks like it was the same vintage as the one I replaced.... I can only imagine that it will be just as hard to get the nut off on that one!

Thanks to all of you for your help!

I ended up using a breaker bar with a 4ft pipe with me jumping on the end, the breaker bar was looking like it was going to lose the fight the nut finlay came off. I really hate taking off half shafts couldent subaru just use a pin, to hold the half shaft from sliding in and out?

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

what you could do is get a cold chisel, and split the nut in line with the axle its on. There are tools called, "nut splitters", that work with a screw and a blade like a cold chisel but the chisel works just as well. Generaly you don't have to split the nut entirely, just enough to expand it around the threads.

Hope that makes sense to you, it's the approved mechanics way and much better than heating the axle/bearings.

i had one stuck once. broke a brand new S-K braker bar on it. then i tryed the snap-on guys best 1/2 drive impact gun it just sat there and rattled. finaly i cut if off with a die grinder. ,

you might go to a big tire shop that changes semi tires (the rattyest looking one is probably best. dont go up front just walk in and ask the mechanic if he will brake it lose with there 3/4 drive gun. if the have a socket to do it. anyway good luck let us know how it turns out.

• 17 years later...

Refrain from heat, bearing is still good.

Breaker bar with some extension. Hit it solid with 3 lb hammer, keeping good pressure on with breaker bar let the pounding vibration do the work.  Best to have tire on so ur not on a jack stand plus it keeps it from turning without putting pry bat in. I have used this method with much success.

Take ur time take a break and go at it again. U will develop a sense of how much pressure to use. Be careful not to break it or strain urself. I have used

My foot for pressure try to position

Bar at 9 o clock this gives u best control.

Good luck. 

Yeah I know the post is old.