Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I can give you some ballpark numbers tomorrow. One thing I can tell you is that if you want new moldings, they are salty! About $125.00 for a new set. If the old are in good shape and you have a good auto glass tech, they can save them and get them back in place looking good.

Thanks Sydfloyd44. Actuly, this Subi is pretty well run down. It is designated as basic transportation. Unfortunately a cop stopped him for a defective windshield and he is having trouble finding one used. I thought I would help him out with a new one.

You can get the windshield replaced for around $300, including the molding if necessary. The windshield itself will run you around $100 if you put it in yourself. Have you checked out websites like windshieldstogo.com or done a search for autoglass. Most of these places subconract with mobile installers so they'll come right out to you. On a totally unrelated topic, did you ever post some stuff on the Honda Hawk GT - I'm sure there are other Jim Davis's out there, but just had to ask.

As I thought, the molding is 125. but I actually have a full kit here if you are interested. (don't worry, you'll get it for next to nothing if interested)

As far as the windshield, keep in mind that different areas get different pricing. Depending on the market. Our price came up 160.00 for the glass, labor is 45.00 (flat rated) and the urethane adhesive is 25.00. This price is pretty typical here in my area of PA and may be higher/lower in your area.

Best thing to do is to CALL AROUND FOR PRICING!!!! If you are paying cash, keep in mind that auto glass is a cut throat business and most companies will do whatever is necessary to get you as their customer! But... do not compromise them doing the job right just for price. Your friend will pay for it later with possible leaks or even worse, RUST a year or 2 down the road!!

One last thing, PLEASE DO NOT "TRY" AND DO IT YOURSELF!!!

Recent article. They say windshield "repair" but it is actually from a windshield replacement not installed correctly!

http://glassbytes.com/newsdeath070604.htm

PM me if you have any other questions.

Thanks all for your help. The moldings are still good. Taking your advice, I shopped around and went with "SafeLite" auto glass. they charged me $160 installed with a guarantee. Again, thank you all for your help. (JD)