Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How Much For Windshield ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Great Falls, Montana USA

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:32 PM

I would like to by my friend a new windshield for his birthday. His vehicle is a 1988 Subaru DL Wagon.
Can someone approximate the cost of a replacement for me? Thanks.

#2 Sydfloyd44

Sydfloyd44

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Central PA

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:35 PM

I can give you some ballpark numbers tomorrow. One thing I can tell you is that if you want new moldings, they are salty! About $125.00 for a new set. If the old are in good shape and you have a good auto glass tech, they can save them and get them back in place looking good.

#3 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:00 PM

Thanks Sydfloyd44. Actuly, this Subi is pretty well run down. It is designated as basic transportation. Unfortunately a cop stopped him for a defective windshield and he is having trouble finding one used. I thought I would help him out with a new one.

#4 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:10 PM

If the windshield is bad enough for a citation, his insurance should cover it. Has he checked?

#5 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:32 PM

If the windshield is bad enough for a citation, his insurance should cover it. Has he checked?

My friend can only afford liability. The rest of his pay goes for gas, so there is no coverage for the glass.

#6 hohieu

hohieu

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 569 posts
  • Philadelphia

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:40 AM

You can get the windshield replaced for around $300, including the molding if necessary. The windshield itself will run you around $100 if you put it in yourself. Have you checked out websites like windshieldstogo.com or done a search for autoglass. Most of these places subconract with mobile installers so they'll come right out to you. On a totally unrelated topic, did you ever post some stuff on the Honda Hawk GT - I'm sure there are other Jim Davis's out there, but just had to ask.

#7 Sydfloyd44

Sydfloyd44

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Central PA

Posted 08 July 2004 - 05:34 PM

As I thought, the molding is 125. but I actually have a full kit here if you are interested. (don't worry, you'll get it for next to nothing if interested)
As far as the windshield, keep in mind that different areas get different pricing. Depending on the market. Our price came up 160.00 for the glass, labor is 45.00 (flat rated) and the urethane adhesive is 25.00. This price is pretty typical here in my area of PA and may be higher/lower in your area.
Best thing to do is to CALL AROUND FOR PRICING!!!! If you are paying cash, keep in mind that auto glass is a cut throat business and most companies will do whatever is necessary to get you as their customer! But... do not compromise them doing the job right just for price. Your friend will pay for it later with possible leaks or even worse, RUST a year or 2 down the road!!
One last thing, PLEASE DO NOT "TRY" AND DO IT YOURSELF!!!
Recent article. They say windshield "repair" but it is actually from a windshield replacement not installed correctly!
http://glassbytes.co...death070604.htm

PM me if you have any other questions.

#8 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 09:01 PM

Thanks all for your help. The moldings are still good. Taking your advice, I shopped around and went with "SafeLite" auto glass. they charged me $160 installed with a guarantee. Again, thank you all for your help. (JD)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users