Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$200 Score with Trans ??

First off want to say hello to everyone here, I have used this board extensively for a few years but never actually registered till now (I know, I know what took me so long). Anyways just happened by an 88' DL Sedan 2wd, auto from a guy who bought the car brand new. 4DR, A/C (still works!), Auto, blah blah...well it had a cooling problem and he just wanted it gone. Well I know subarus well and was scared (but this was is not a rubo) grabbed it anyways. Dusted it off, air'd it out, checked the fluids, and put a new battery in it. Started it up, drove it home (ran at 3/4 the entire way) put a new radiator in it and boom car was good shape. Spent a few days doing brakes, major tune up, fluid changes, etc. But getting to the point the transmission sucks, it may be going out as the shifts are hard and it takes a few before shifting to first after breaking. I've been considering doing the 5 spd conversion but would really prefer an automatic since this is my heavy traffic commute car now. So is there any 4spd auto conversions? or any suggestions?

The $200 DL

88dl.jpg

Dr.Krazy

---------

94 Legacy Wagon

88 DL Sedan

81 Chevy Truck

That might just be the modulator valve. Pull the air line going to the right side of the trans off and see if fluid comes out of it (even just a little). If it does, the modulator is bad and you need a $15 part that only threads in and takes all of 2 minutes to change yourself.

Grab yourself a new bemper at the J/Y. its only 4 bolts and two connectors to take it off and put the new one on. The reduction in fuglyness will produce more love for the car. If you spend a lot of time in traffic, save the 5 speed for when you commute is more fun. fix the auto. They may suck power but you'll be hating the leg work of stop and go traffic. looks like a nice car other than the left front corner.

Grab yourself a new bemper at the J/Y. its only 4 bolts and two connectors to take it off and put the new one on. The reduction in fuglyness will produce more love for the car. If you spend a lot of time in traffic, save the 5 speed for when you commute is more fun. fix the auto. They may suck power but you'll be hating the leg work of stop and go traffic. looks like a nice car other than the left front corner.

New bumper & side lens is in the back of my truck already, brother in-law/body man fixing the fender for me. And yes it drives me nutz, even worse since I'm not the guy who smashed it. Will check into those parts on the tranny, but is there a 4 spd that will bolt up as a later thought?

yes, that is 4x4 though, that is why you can go with a 5 and keep it fwd
but is there a 4 spd that will bolt up as a later thought?
would really prefer an automatic since this is my heavy traffic commute car now

Have you not figured out that he doesn't want a 5 speed?