Ultimate Subaru Message Board

which wax/polish for your subie?

Guest Vickaroo
There is a good chance that you will leave swirl marks and/or burn the paint if you are not carefull using a buffer. But as far as I know, the swirl marks come when dirt or "particles" are trapped in the "cloth," so make sure your car is clean and use a clean soft cloth. The burning comes when you press down on the buffer, don't keep the buffer moving, or a buffer which spins too fast. But I've also seen swirl marks on cars that have been hand applied- so pick your poison.

Is you dont want to risk your obsidian pearl paint (and who could blame you), do what I did, practice on your wife's car.

bjwirth..... This is my car!!!!:brow: (vickaroo) Im married to chef Tim LOL and I dont want the swirls in my obsidian pearl black either, just I beleive there is a way to use the buffer for a more shine, without hurting the paint... But if chef Tim wants to hand buff my baby then GREAT!!!!! Thanks for the feed back... Vicky

As for which wax:

One of my jobs is detailing five classic cars 1939-1950 that are owned by a tour company, so I've got a little experience here. If you're looking for pure, unadulterated, good-looking shiny paint, you can't beat Mother's California Gold Carnuba Cleaner Wax. That stuff just plain rocks. The only reason I don't use it on my car is that it doesn't stay shiny for long periods of time. This is where a product called Nu-Finish comes in. It doesn't have quite the same show-car shine as Mother's, but it's still darn close, and more importantly, I can apply it in the spring, dirty and wash my car without re-waxing all summer, and it still looks great in the fall. I usually apply the stuff once or twice a year, and I use it on some other cars that I detail for friends with great success.

bjwirth..... This is my car!!!!:brow: (vickaroo) Im married to chef Tim LOL and I dont want the swirls in my obsidian pearl black either, just I beleive there is a way to use the buffer for a more shine, without hurting the paint... But if chef Tim wants to hand buff my baby then GREAT!!!!! Thanks for the feed back... Vicky

oops icon10.gif I wasn;t paying attention to who was relpying to what...

What I shoulda said was practice on a car that's not one you care about- In my case it was my wife's old car- in your case, find another car, your mom's maybe? (she's not on this board too, is she?)

But also keep in mind what I said about hand applying/buffing, you can just as easily leave swirls that way too. On a black car, it will become painfully obvious as the wax wears off. I used to have a black car- and although it's my favorite color, I'll probably never buy one again since my "mistakes" show up so easily.

Please do some research on www.autopia.org You owe it to your vehicle!! :)

Dawn???? You are joking right? Your $30 Zymol is made by Turlewax btw.

You can't go wrong with the Meg's Professional Line, 3M Bodyshop line, Klasse, P21S, Zaino, and many others. Read the review section.

I'm not putting anything from WalMart or Autozone on our new 05 OBW. It's Meg's Professional and Bodyshop line all the way. #7 Show Care Glaze, topped with #16 Professional Paste Wax gives it a great shine and beads for months. All of this by hand. It is a new finish

I use the #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish on my 97 F150, as it is abrassive enough to remove cobweb's and swirls without damaging the paint, then topped with the #16. I use a Porter Cable 7424 DA Random Orbital Polisher to apply the #83 and hand apply and buff the #16.

John

Has anyone ever tried Klasse wax from Germany? I've heard good things, but haven't tried it yet.

http://www.premiumautocare.com/premiumautocare/klallinone10.html

I used it last year. I really like the AIO Polish. The SG Sealant works better if you leave it on over night and buff off the next day. I don't have a grage so I used the wipe on, wipe off method. Did ok. Lasted at least 4 months, but didn't make may car truck pop, like a good carnuba such as #16, #26, or P21S.

I still use the AIO as a base Polish before wax on occassion if the swirls are not too bad. If they are I step up to the #83 first, then top with #16.

I order from properautocare all the time. Great company with outstanding customer service.

John

When I first picked up my 2000 GT wagon at the Subaru dealer, it was detailed and waxed and looked wonderful. Went to the detail garage and asked the guy what they used. He said a brand called Auto Magic - he detailed cars on the side too and that was all he would use. It is sold at jobbers stores and online only. I've been using it every summer since and my car looks great! Highly recommend. P.S. Don't use that Zymol or Nu Finish unless you are thinking of completely sanding down your car and repainting it. http://www.automagic.biz/buy-automagic.htm

• 2 weeks later...
yep and it works great:grin:

I also used Dawn on my Colt for 11 years and never had a problem with it, yet now all I hear is how dish detergent is really dangerous for the finish. It seems like the propaganda started right about the same time that all the specialized car wash products began showing up on the shelves. I don't know if all dish detergents are created equal.

• 3 weeks later...
I also used Dawn on my Colt for 11 years and never had a problem with it, yet now all I hear is how dish detergent is really dangerous for the finish. It seems like the propaganda started right about the same time that all the specialized car wash products began showing up on the shelves. I don't know if all dish detergents are created equal.

If it won't scratch your plastic cups, it's probably safe on your paint. I've used several different liquid dish soaps.

I used to use nothing but Zymol on my mustang.. but I grow tired of having to reapply every month or so... I tried the Nu Finish on my subie earlier this summer... I'm going on 3 months and 3 or 4 no-wax auto car washes... the Nu Finish is beading up like new. I did buy a 10" buffer and ran the entire car with fine cut cleaner first. I still have scratches... but less then I did before I started. I have some new stuff to try next time... but I'm lazy.

happened to be in an auto parts store today, and after seeing all the different brands on the shelf, wondered what you all used, and with what results.

jared

HEY I AM A AUTO RECONDITIONER FOR MY DEALERSHIP AND I SWEAR BY TURTLE WAX IT REALLY BRINGS OUT A SHINE AND ALWAYS LOOKS GOOD THAT IS WHAT I WOULD RECCOMEND