Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Backlight's for Dash Instrument Buttons..How to Replace?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 EOppegaard

EOppegaard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Madison, Connecticut

Posted 08 July 2004 - 07:36 PM

Hey guys, I haven't been on the board in a while so I will giv eyou a bit of an update.

I am now living in Florida working for Walt Disney Imagineering doing all sorts of magical stuff :-)

Will be back in CT in January as I am taking this semester off from my studies.

Anyways, I couldn't find anything about htis in the forums, however i am sure I am just not looking hard enough. I left my Chilton Manual at home...like an idiot...and now I am looking to replace the backlight bulbs for the rear defroster button, as well as the hazard light button both on the dash of my 1993 Legacy Wagon. Any idea on how to do this?

#2 alia176

alia176

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • NM

Posted 09 July 2004 - 02:00 PM

Please email me so that I can reply with a bunch of pics of this project.

Ali
alia176atyahoo

#3 EOppegaard

EOppegaard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Madison, Connecticut

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for the pics...however I am looking for help for a 93 Legacy...and not the HVAC controls :-)

Currently my Rear Defrost button is out, as well as the hazard light switch...well...I think it's out...it's always been out however I think it is suppossed to light up!

Let me know if someone can help me through this process!

#4 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:01 AM

The de-frost button I am assuming is in front of your left knee? The whole assembly will pop out if you pry it carefully with a flatblade screwdriver. From the bottom, that way the inevitable scratches won't be visible in future.
Once out, you undo the bulbs with a flatblade, they move about 90 degrees and will then be ready to be pulled out.

The Hazard light switch, I will assume is just right of the center air vents. THIS is a pain, it's screwed into the dash, from behind. Really, the whole dash needs to come out for proper access. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

If you have small hands and acute manual dexterity, you might be able to get in via the air vents. The central air vents are pressed into the dash, and can be pulled out. With a short philips screwdriver you might be able to get the switch out. Good luck!

#5 EOppegaard

EOppegaard

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Madison, Connecticut

Posted 12 July 2004 - 04:32 AM

ohh boy...lovely design genius there :rolleyes:

When you refer to the housing assembly, do you mena the lower portion of the button itself? Or do you mean the plastic that surrounds the button...hopefully that makes sense!

#6 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:00 PM

The whole schmere!

The assembly will come out before the button, so it'll make sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users