Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

when i turn my car off it shutters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sethpistol1

sethpistol1

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Spokane

Posted 09 July 2004 - 01:05 PM

when i turn my car off after driving it around it shutters sometimes worse than other so what could be wrong or is it normal . it's an 1982 gl wagon

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 09 July 2004 - 01:27 PM

If the engine is deiseling (still trying to run after being shut down), it could be a problem with the anti-deiseling solenoid on the carb. Could also be an indication that the engine is running too hot, or the timing is off. Weber's do not have anti-deiseling solenoids, and with proper tuning can be made to run without deiseling except in the hottest weather..... a good cooling system, and proper timing is key.

If it's just vibration, have a look at the engine mounts - the rubber int them is pretty thick, and they don't usually go bad, but one could be loose.....

GD

#3 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 09 July 2004 - 01:32 PM

EDIT: take general disorder's anti dieseling solenoid first, i forgot about that!

dieseling is when the car seems to keep running for a few strokes after you cut the power, and it sounds like what you're describing. it's caused by something causing the remaining fuel/air mixture to keep burning after the ignition system is shut down. sometimes it can be caused by carbon deposits in the cylinders, which store heat and can cause the dieseling; or it can be caused by timing issues although i don't know much about solving that.

since your car will be carbed, you can try getting a can of seafoam and treating the cylinders with that.. run the car for like a minute when cold, to get the cylinders slightly warmed up, then pull the spark plugs out and inject a few oz. of seafoam into each cylinder, then rotate the crank pulley nut (22mm) clockwise for a few minutes to work the pistons and the seafoam up and down.
after reinstalling the spark plugs, start the car (and don't worry about all the new white smoke, it's from the seafoam) and dribble some seafoam through the carburetor and through the brake booster vacuum line (instructions on the can).
some people will dribble water into their carburetors, which will turn to steam during combustion, to steam clean the cylinders. too much water will take up too much space in the cylinders and catastrophically increase compression, and ruin a rod or valve or something. if you choose to use water, run the engine for a while afterward to make sure it all gets boiled off.

you could also check the distributor timing but my bet is cylinder carbon deposits. if your car is an auto, shutting it off in gear will prevent the symptom of dieseling as the drivetrain will still be carrying a load and it will be too much for the afterignition to occur. good luck.

#4 DaveAP

DaveAP

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • Prescott, Arizona

Posted 10 July 2004 - 09:15 PM

try a tank of higher octane gas. See if it makes a difference, it did for me.

:78, '84 brats.

#5 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 10 July 2004 - 11:33 PM

HEy just in case...seafoam is a type/brand of cleaner. So don't go to the ocean and get some, then pour it in your engine :drunk:

#6 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:52 AM

just in case
All 1981s throught 1984
MT 700rpm
AT 800

1985s
DL Model
4 spd- 650rpm
5 spd- 700rpm

GL Model
MT - 700rpm
AT - 800rpm

ALL TURBOs
MT - 700rpm
AT - 800rpm

1987 thru 1989
All Carbs - 700rpm
SPFI - 700rpm
MPFI
MT - 700rpm
AT - 800rpm

1990 throught 1994
All models - 700
All turbo models - 800

#7 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,149 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:46 AM

make sure your timing is set correctly too.....

#8 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,941 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:11 AM

what part of spokane are you in? i'm living up on the north side (pacific park) starting next week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users