Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

155 to 165hp from 1996-1997 Legacy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sleeparu

Sleeparu

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • London/Ontario/Canada

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:43 AM

Okay... I asked my Subaru dealership this and they were clueless, so I'm hoping someone out there can help me with this!

I have a 155hp 1996 Subaru Legacy GT that I'm planning on upgrading... lots of mags with how-tos on the Impreza 2.5RS that I have lots f info... the one thing that nobody can tell me is this:

What did Subaru change from the 1996 to 1997 model year to jack the horsepower rating up by 10hp? Can I do this to my engine with relative ease?

Thanks all for help!

#2 ccrinc

ccrinc

The Subaru Whisperer

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • Denver, CO

Posted 10 July 2004 - 09:02 AM

Okay... I asked my Subaru dealership this and they were clueless, so I'm hoping someone out there can help me with this!

I have a 155hp 1996 Subaru Legacy GT that I'm planning on upgrading... lots of mags with how-tos on the Impreza 2.5RS that I have lots f info... the one thing that nobody can tell me is this:

What did Subaru change from the 1996 to 1997 model year to jack the horsepower rating up by 10hp? Can I do this to my engine with relative ease?

Thanks all for help!

Basically, they went from hydraulic lifters to solid lifters. Piston height may have been an issue too. No, this isn't easy, unless you consider completely changing your heads (at the very least) easy.

Emily
http://www.ccrengines.com

#3 THAWA

THAWA

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • Sac

Posted 10 July 2004 - 09:18 AM

head replacement is pretty easy :) time consuming more than anything else.

#4 PAezb

PAezb

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • USA

Posted 10 July 2004 - 11:31 AM

Did they also go from DOHC to SOHC then, or was that in later models?

#5 SkiGuyGT

SkiGuyGT

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Portland

Posted 10 July 2004 - 05:44 PM

No the '96 and '97 2.5 had DOHC. (Phase I)

It is not at all worth the effort to get 165hp, save your money for an '05 GT.

#6 Commuter

Commuter

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,857 posts
  • Niagara area, Ont Canada

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:01 PM

They added the "torque box" in front of the throttle body. That was one thing.

I also have a "Shop Talk" somewhere that talks about shortened pistons, moly coating on the pistons, etc. There were some internal changes from 96 to 97. I think they even played with the compression ratio a bit.

Commuter

#7 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 11 July 2004 - 05:36 PM

They added the "torque box" in front of the throttle body. That was one thing.

I also have a "Shop Talk" somewhere that talks about shortened pistons, moly coating on the pistons, etc. There were some internal changes from 96 to 97. I think they even played with the compression ratio a bit.

Commuter

Yeah i think they did becasue you only need regular instead of 91 octane gas in the later 2.5s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users