Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

o2 sensor made my hatch slower

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 10 July 2004 - 07:52 PM

i have a hatch runin mpfi, and i just now added an o2 sensor after 3k miles without one. so i hooked it up, and reset the computer, drove it, and i swear it made my car slower. my guage bounces from the green to red, and when its floored it goes to green, just like it should. when does the computer look at the 02 sensors input? and will it take 50 miles or so of driving for the computer to use the data, or whatever they told me at the place i bought it?

#2 84Scoobaroo

84Scoobaroo

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:53 PM

i have a hatch runin mpfi, and i just now added an o2 sensor after 3k miles without one. so i hooked it up, and reset the computer, drove it, and i swear it made my car slower. my guage bounces from the green to red, and when its floored it goes to green, just like it should. when does the computer look at the 02 sensors input? and will it take 50 miles or so of driving for the computer to use the data, or whatever they told me at the place i bought it?

When im running my XT (MPFI) it has a surging problem, that i attribute to the O2 sensor. I can drive for 200 miles and it will still surge, yet if my car is warm, and i let it idle for a few minutes it goes away and my car runs like a champ. Im going to unplug my o2 to see if that changes any.

I would like to hear others comments on this subject as well.

:confused:

Edit: Unplugged o2 sensor and drove around tonight. Car runs much better without the surging effect that im used to. Maybe the o2 sensor is sending the computer bad data???

#3 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 10 July 2004 - 11:37 PM

Maybe a switch for o2 sensor on or off? To test/perma fix?

#4 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 11 July 2004 - 03:47 AM

You have something wrong with your o2 sensor, if you can unplug it and it stops. If the sensor is unplugged, teh computer will sense that, and it will substitute a value for that sensor, (Basically what it does before teh car warms up).

This value the computer uses, errs on the rich side, which will equate to a small power gain. However, what you are feeling is probably just the computer re-learning itself. Might get better, might not.

#5 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 11 July 2004 - 06:34 PM

hrm, just like last time, i installed a sensor. it now doesnt run good unless i floor it, even after i cut the wire to the sensor, and reset the computer. reely bad :confused:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users