Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Purge Control Solenoid & Vacuum Question

I'm getting a CEL and a code of 35... I haven't noticed any particular symptoms when the CEL is on versus off, though. I have seen that the idle seems to vary by a lot (sometimes as high as 1300 and as low as 400 RPMs). The idle problems do not occur at the same time as the CEL, however.

I figured I'd borrow the multimeter down at work and check the PCS with it (resistance across the terminals, right?). If it's bad, and I replace it, and the idle problems continue, or if the PCS tests good, I'll start checking for a vacuum leak.

I've seen several threads about using WD-40 to check for said leaks... anybody care to elaborate on it? Thanks guys :drunk:

Never mind. I googled for it. Just in case anybody else wants to know, supposedly, if you spray carb cleaner, WD-40, starter fluid, or something to the same effect (flammable, I figure) on a vacuum hose, and it's leaking at that particular spot, the engine RPM's ought to change as the stuff gets sucked in and burned. I've got the day off Tuesday... I'll spend some time looking over the hoses.

I checked the resistance on the leads today, and got anywhere from 60-90 ohms... a lot higher than the 31.9-39.9 it's supposed to be. Assuming what I'm looking at is the PCS, at least... to the left of the throttle body, got a few vacuum hoses on it (one leading to a cylinder to the left rear of the engine bay, another leading to the cylinder in the left front of the bay), and this funny looking black plastic cylinder piece sticking out of it. That sound right?

When that purge selinoid is stuck Open that will cuase a vacume leak and your idle will be effected. When it unsticks and goes Closed thats when your engine will behave itself :)

I'd swap out the selinoid or put on a new one.

Good luck !_!

Swapped out the solenoid this morning, and my little red Subie's purring again. Ran out 'n' bought a new digital multimeter, then headed up to a local junkyard. Tested the "new" one (~36 ohms), traded it for $20, and slapped it in. Adjusted the idle, and she hasn't wavered yet.

Slapped on a new muffler while I was at it. If it wasn't for the rust, I'd be a very happy Subie owner right now :-p