Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Digital Clock/ No Memory/ Found somethin under dash REVISED 7/11/04

In the wiring harness it's either behind the cluster or under the dash somewhere, there is a wire with a fuse in it, may or may not have a quick disconnect on it. This is teh keep-alive wire for the clock. Basically, they shipped them with the wire disconnected so teh batteries wouldn't drain on the boat ride over here, and they were hooked up at ususally at the final delivery point. Yours might have come disconnected, or blew the fuse. Look for a wire with an inline fuse holder in it, I think it's light blue in color.

Well I was poking around under the fuse box to reset the EGR Valve ( ON MY BRAT)by doing the wire swap Shawn described when I found a two green wires under the dash that seem to go together.. I connected them and bingo the clock is keeping memory.. But it seems that it might be draining the battery down... Ill leave it hooked up and check it out around 6 PM Monday 7/12.

I also found another green wire with nothing connected to it... I looked at this same wire on my other subie and found that wire being used for power to a switch under the dash someone put in that leads to the front of the car under the bumper. The wire gauge is small so I assume it didnt power anything big like fog lights. Anyone use this wire for power for somethin like lights ??? If I can figure out how to put a pic of the Brats wires I will.. Joe

unplug your door open chime :)

Shawn had this exact same problem,and that took care of it....

uh small wire running to the front..

my guess is that small wire was used to trip a relay to then power up fog lights

btw relay powering extra lights of anykind is pretty much the ideal way to do it

less wires running backa nd fourth full voltage and amperage instead of losing some of it to a switch and long wire runs

less chance of a fire or a short