Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA81 Digital Clock/ No Memory/ Found somethin under dash REVISED 7/11/04

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cole098

cole098

Subaru. It's a sickness

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • pottsville,pa

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:56 AM

Clock keeps time when car is running but shut off the key and no more correct time.. resets itself back to 1:00.. any ideas how to check or fix???
Thanks

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:03 AM

Same problem here - never have figured it out. I swapped the cluster and it didn't help, so it's not in there.....

GD

#3 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,752 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:10 AM

Maybe part of the electrical system that feeds the clock when the car is turned off is broken. I would check a diagram for grounds and especially power and how it gets to the clock when the car is shut off.

#4 84Scoobaroo

84Scoobaroo

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:43 AM

Happened to me too, but it was just a fuse. If not that, i would check the power/grounds, and rewire if necessary.

*shrug*

#5 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 11 July 2004 - 03:39 AM

In the wiring harness it's either behind the cluster or under the dash somewhere, there is a wire with a fuse in it, may or may not have a quick disconnect on it. This is teh keep-alive wire for the clock. Basically, they shipped them with the wire disconnected so teh batteries wouldn't drain on the boat ride over here, and they were hooked up at ususally at the final delivery point. Yours might have come disconnected, or blew the fuse. Look for a wire with an inline fuse holder in it, I think it's light blue in color.

#6 VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Brattitude Adjustment

• Administrator
  • 11,149 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:16 PM

unplug your door open chime :)

Shawn had this exact same problem,and that took care of it....

#7 cole098

cole098

Subaru. It's a sickness

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • pottsville,pa

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:51 PM

Well I was poking around under the fuse box to reset the EGR Valve ( ON MY BRAT)by doing the wire swap Shawn described when I found a two green wires under the dash that seem to go together.. I connected them and bingo the clock is keeping memory.. But it seems that it might be draining the battery down... Ill leave it hooked up and check it out around 6 PM Monday 7/12.

I also found another green wire with nothing connected to it... I looked at this same wire on my other subie and found that wire being used for power to a switch under the dash someone put in that leads to the front of the car under the bumper. The wire gauge is small so I assume it didnt power anything big like fog lights. Anyone use this wire for power for somethin like lights ??? If I can figure out how to put a pic of the Brats wires I will.. Joe

unplug your door open chime :)

Shawn had this exact same problem,and that took care of it....

#8 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,339 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:32 AM

The two green wires with the mating connectors are there to run the ECU in a service mode I believe. You don't want to leave these wires connected for normal operation.

#9 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:28 AM

uh small wire running to the front..
my guess is that small wire was used to trip a relay to then power up fog lights

btw relay powering extra lights of anykind is pretty much the ideal way to do it
less wires running backa nd fourth full voltage and amperage instead of losing some of it to a switch and long wire runs

less chance of a fire or a short

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users