Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turn Signal flasher

Searching for my turn signal flasher unit, I've torn half the dashboard apart. I can't get it all the way out due to the heater slide lever assembly. I'm tracing the wires from the switch, and I can't see where they go without removing the dash/instrument panel. Chiltons is no help, they don't even have a wiring print for this. It's a 1987 Wagon. Anyone know exactly where the flasher unit is?

John

John,

On my 82 it was on the fire wall near the steering wheel. I'd look up under the dash between the wheel and the drivers side panel. If it was like mine you should find two Quarter size disks (cylinders) with wire clips in a plastic holder. One of those will work the turn flasher.

My bet is someone else will know exactly where it is!

Welcome to the board!

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Nope, it's not there either. The one I bought at the parts store is a black rectangle with 3 spade terminals on it. After everything I've done to this car over the years, I can't believe the crummy turn signals will be the end of it. The hazard switch literally fell apart when I removed the dash, and the heater control assembly is in pieces. I thought Soobs were the greatest car ever built till I started on this mess, and I've worked on dozens of cars. Chiltons can't even provide a print for any light system in the entire car? Flasher unit is so incredibly hidden, it can never be found? If it even exists? My Chiltons book does have a print for the Justy, and it just shows power directly to the switch, and directly from there to the lights. Unbelievable. Simply can't work that way IMHO.

John

I looked in my haynes manual, it doesn't ahve a relay(flasher) in the schmatic either. THat's weird, you hear it when it works.

Oh yeah...Subes are the greatest cars ever. They just have electrical problems...probably the biggest downfall. But nothing is perfect...subes just come damn close.

HEY ANYONE LIVE CLOSE TO K FAlls OREGON to help this guy out?

Good Luck

The FSM for my '88 wagon shows a black connector with three leads that may be on the left side of the steering column. I would assume it is the same for the '87 year also. It appears that this harness branches off a larger harness and it also has a black three wire connector that is for the cruise control system. Two other plugs go to the combination switch. To verify your have the right one you should be able to turn the turn signal on while the flasher is out of the curcuit. You will not have any light with the correct one pulled.

Hope this helps a little.

Hey, thanks guys. At least I know not to run out and buy a Haynes manual. I'm slowly reassembling the dash while I ride my motorcycle to work. I'll keep looking for the darn thing, and in the meantime, I'll try to come up with a REAL wiring diagram. One fun thing about Soob's is finding other ones to put all the best parts on. That way, all previous Soobs live on in your future ones.

John