Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone know a good place to get a manual tranny for a 1997 impreza??....I have an auto but would like to go manual. Got a perfect auto tranny.....trades??? Portland Area.....Ive looked on ebay....couple of WRX trannys but dont think they will fit my 2.2....EJ22??...Hmmm any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Cory

I think you'll want to sell the car and buy a new one with a manual. You'd probaly spend as much on the conversion as an entire '97 imprezza would go for.

Seriously. Its very hard to convert from an auto to a stick, its really only worth it with rare cars that are really pricey and dont have sticks on the market. There is a lot more to do then just swap out the auto trans for manual.

I think you'll want to sell the car and buy a new one with a manual. You'd probaly spend as much on the conversion as an entire '97 imprezza would go for.

Seriously. Its very hard to convert from an auto to a stick

There is no way a tranny conversion would cost more than 4000 dollars....imprezas are rare around here....i have seen WRX trannys going for around 900 bux....as for just a swap out....diffrent flywheel or what....what makes it that much harder....

Well I have to admit I don't know exact specifics about the '97 imprezza.

I'm just letting you know what I've heard countless times from people who have attempted this or thought about it for all sorts of different cars. There are a lot of parts in the car made to work with the auto, you will probably need an entire new computer system which I would think would run in the thousands. Theres a lot of custom fabrication for brackets and mounts that you'd need to make as well.

If you can find just 1 person who has done this I'd love to hear from them because everyone I know who has looked into converting an auto->stick has been amazed at how much harder and more expensive it is then you'd intuitively think.

If you don't like an auto enough to consider all the work you might as well just sell it and buy a manual. I saw lots of Imprezza's here in Oregon with sticks when I was looking for my '97 legacy. Just my opinion.

I converted my SVX to a stick for $1000 U.S., and that included a $300 conversion kit, and $350 upgraded clutch. For the computer all the SVX people who have done it have simpley just disconected the TCU. There have been some minor problems with low idle in the SVX with the very ocansonal stall. Not sure if that will aply for the Impreza. It was alot of work to do it, but if you work at and know what your doing and have tools it can be done with in 1 week, of pfairly hard work. Thats if every thing some how works out perfectly. Me idid mine in a drive way during the middle of winter(lots of fun to work when there was snow on the ground :lol: ) I really dont think it would be as hard or as costly, becasue you wont need to get costom parts or upgraded clutch, or make costom braces. The hardest part was probley for me getting the auto off with out killing me in the proccess, or the pedal assembley.

I dont know if you would want a WRX trannie since they have higher gearing than the rest of the 5spds. If you do it, it would be horibley expensive if you would have to buy all of the small stuff from subaru, so you will nedd to probley find a junkyard one. Alos all ej tranies will fit onto a EJ, or EG engine.

• 5 months later...

Having just replaced my '97 5-speed, I can tell you that the tranny was somewhat hard to locate. I found a '98 5-speed for $500 with 51K on it on car-parts.com . My mechanic seems to think I got a deal because on the price because he doesn't think the salvage yard really knew how much they could get for the part. Apparently they are hard to find. Cost me about $750 for the install and that included a couple of new bearings and a shaft in the clutch mechanism to replace some worn parts.

Be sure that alll your parts match year-wise, or double check to be sure they are compatible. For example, even though there is probably no mechanical difference between a '97 and a '99 5-speed, after '98 they changed the sensor and wiring harnesses for the tranny, so you can't just plug a '98 transmission wiring harness into a '99 ECU, or a '99 tranny into a '98 or '97 ECU.

If you are really set on doing this, your best bet might be to find a salvage car and take everything form it.

When buying a used tranny be careful about front and rear-end collisions as, depending on how hard the hit was, it can drive either the tranny back into the driveshaft or vice-versa, and perhaps damage the unit in a way that might not be readily visible.