Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello i have a 1997 impreza....non turbo.....i know putting a turbo on would be a job and a half....but what is everything i need....bad wording...what all do i need?.....turbo, intercooler?, hoodscoop?, turbo timer, boost guage?, Sensors of any kind???? just am wondering to see if this is an option.

Cory

There are a few kits out there for turbocharging a RS 2.5, that should also work on your 2.2. There is a big difference between what you need to get the job done, and what you want the end results to be. For example, you don't need an I/C, turbo timer, or boost guage to turbo charge the engine, but they all would be improvements over just turbocharging. Another option is installing a JDM WRX engine. When you are finished with buying and installing all the stuff you need to convert your engine, you will have probably spent more then if you had installed a JDM engine.

A friend of mine from the local "Impreza Club" (www.impreza.dk) has turbocharged an EJ20. Apparently it was quite simple, but of course labour intensive. He bought the stock turbo and piping off other members who have upgraded their engines, and it all screws on nicely.

Extra's needed include a new fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, ECU.

This method has the advantage of not needing the engine removed from the car. Intake and exhaust can be accessed from above and below, while the block is in situ.

You can make your own front mounted intercooler or buy a WRX hood.

I would recommend sticking with a low boost 0.4-0.6 Bar, since the heads and pistons are high compression not suited to high boost.

A total engine swap is the best solution, but requires a great deal more work, and gives a power rise that DEMANDS new brakes.

Unless you do a engine rebuild with lower compresion pistons, and all that your stock engine wont be able to put out as much power as relible as a already turbo charged enigne, like the ej20t. I heard the wiring when putting in a turbo charged enigne is a huge job.

You'll need-

turbo exhaust manifold

uppipe

turbo

downpipe

turbo crossmember (as it fits the exhaust parts needed. the n/a cross member doesn't.)

better injectors (IE: EJ22T injectors)

better fuel pump

engine management to piggy back and allow the higher fuel rate needed

but with just the bare minimum, we don't suggest 9.5:1 CR with more than 6lbs of boost without an intercooler on an open deck block.

you'll want -

lower compression pistons

intercooler

oil cooler

fuel pressure regulator

this will allow you to run higher boost. like 10 to 14 lbs. I've seen and talked to plenty of people on various boards who try to demistify the myth that the EJ22E block won't handle 10-14 lbs of boost. It's not the block, it's the high CR combined with the block's open deck that makes you not want to run very much boost.

Through all my research, i've come to the conclusion that a completely stock N/A EJ22 block (stock heads, internals, block) is not a good choice. The EJ22E block in itself, in comparison to an EJ257 block like in the STi, has similar thickness in walls. I think that with low compression, good intercooling, and engine management, you could push 300hp from one of these blocks. but I don't know if that's raising the bar too high or not. I know the EJ22T block can handle 500+ hp with the right internals. some say with stock crank and rods, it's possible to hit 500+ in the EJ22T, but I don't know if the crank and rods are capable. The thing to do with an EJ22E block is change the pistons to forged EJ22T pistons or even have some custom ones made up - keeping the forged crank and rods. That's a good thing.