Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Legacy Master Window Switch

I have a 97 Legacy Wagon L. And, as luck would have it, the driver's side master window switch is broken such that I cannot roll down the driver's side window. All other window switches still work...and the driver's side does power up. I'd really like to be able to toss the coins out the window at a toll booth instead of having to open my door every time. (And forget about the drive through at McDonalds!)

I would be interested in hearing from someone that may either have a good switch that they may wish to sell...or if someone knows a good place to look/call for a switch.

Thanks,

Ahessler

Been there, done that. I'll bet that the switch is just dirty. Get some spray electrical contact cleaner (Radio Shack or auto parts dealer). Pry the entire switch housing assembly out of the arm rest with a screw driver that has been taped so as to not scratch the plastic and panels. The switch, when turned over, will have some seams that you can spray the cleaner into liberally, as well as in through the top of the switch. Cycle the switch a dozen times or so to move the fluid over the contacts. Give the fluid time to evaporate (5 minutes) and try it. You may have to do it again to get results. That worked for me. If that still doesn't do the job, you may be able to take the switch out of its garnish and disassemble it to get at the points. You've got nothing to lose if it still doesn't work and you ruin it. Just be prepared for tiny springs and contacts to go flying if you're not careful. While your tracking down another switch, just swap the wiring to your other front passenger window switch, using short pieces of wire a crimp blade connectors. Good luck!

Nice to see I'm not alone.

I had the assy apart...and tried to make the contact with a piece of wire between the points. Somehow...that did not work.

I'd try to dissasemble it further...but it seems that the circuit is more or less permantly assembled. I could do like you say and rewire it so that, for instance, the back left window only goes down/up from that switch and the driver's window works fully.

I appreciate the advice though. The contact could still be corroded/dirty I suppose.

Thanks!

Andy