Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Representing Old School last friday (semi-rant)

So I heard from I-Club that the a bunch of WRX owners hang out right near me every friday night. So I decide to go with my BRAT. People were pretty interested at the old school soob. Some were even amazed at the spare under the hood.

most of the rides were 2002-2003 WRX's. there were a few 2004-2005 sti's.

One guy showed up in his 2000 RS. Overall fairly interesting time. Sorta got bored after a while listening to them yap about BOV and Rota wheels and blah blah blah....

It's not so interesting when you just dump money into your ride to make it look/perform better. I would rather get my hands dirty and do it myself the old shade-tree mechanic way. :D

That's why I am looking forward to WCSS6. Hang w/some old school folks that actually know how to work on their rides. :banana:

BW

I have heard alot of bad things about guys from the i-club (They are snotty etc...) However, When I was in Tx 2.5 yrs ago, they had a meet at some big lake and I took the BRAT down and met up with Josh (Legacy777) and I thought that most of the people there were ok. 1 or 2 snobby ones but other than that, they were ok in my book. Lots of interest in the BRAT. We took a pic with the BRAT and the legacy up front and tons of imprezas behind them. I met Troy from Cobb tuning also. Nice guy. I do know what you are saying though. There is a difference in the people that do their own work and/or fabrication vs the people that buy the bolt on parts. I am sure if we could buy the bolt on parts we would do that as well. Boz

yeah go old school!!! After I lowered my Brat, a guy that has done a fair amount of minitrucks including Datsuns which are his favorite, I showed up at his house one day and he was thrilled to see it slammed. He said it was one of the most coolest rides he had seen even though its poop brown. He also liked the boxster sound coming out though the glasspack in the rear. So guess what I'm bringin to WCSS6.....;)

A long time ago...when I was just a pup...my parents owened a 88 GL wagon...thought it was the shiznit...had lots of fun in it...about 18 months ago I bought my self a brand spankin new WRX, was thinkin about waiting for the STi but "Have to have it NOW!!!" took ahold of me after I test drove it...and just recently one of my friends gave me a 86 2wd GL that needed some TLC, needed new heads...now I am driving the GL as a daily and the wrx when ever I need my fix of stupid fast. Anyways to the point...I am feeling I will do my fabricating on the GL (since it is older) and buy bolt ons for the wrx since it is new and that I spent a couple of pretty pennys on it... theres my 2 cents ;)

The people that I met were basically nice.

I guess the funniest thing is hearing that they spend enough money on just Rims and tires to really deck out my BRAT. Like 700 bucks for rims. 700 bucks for my BRAT would get me a lot more. But hey, if you have the money to throw around why not.

I think that's the biggest difference between old school and new school. Old School prides itself in DIY mods and PAP finds. New School prides itself in who tuned their car and how many name brand go-fast parts they can buy.

Plan to go back this friday.

BW

A long time ago...when I was just a pup...my parents owened a 88 GL wagon...thought it was the shiznit...had lots of fun in it...;)

That was my first Soob... Mom and Dads old 88 GL Wagon... Maroon! I loved it. I got forced off the road once by some blind driver and tacoed a rim goin over the sidewalk at 50 mph. Best thing to happen to that car. I had to get a new rim so I went to the yard. And there they were SHINY CHROME American Racing Mags. $100 for the set. That car was spottless from that day foreward. Even when I went out mudding it was "Blinging" again before the sun went down. Thats the car that made me a believer. Had her airborn god only knows how many times. I high centered it a few times though and afterwards could feel the floorboard separate behind the front seats when I took off, then slide back together when I came to a stop. It was time to sell her. Offed it to a friend for $700 with a crumpled rear pannel and tail light (got in a fight with a hydrant) (The hydrant won that round) and 247,000 miles on the original engine and trans. He learned how to drive a stick in it and killed the tranny shortly after.

Now I'm even older-school with the 83 GL wag. And I couldnt be Happier. Cant wait to show it off at WCSS6 :banana:

I dont frequent I club....but i do the South East forum of NASIOC. Mostly nice people. I know Warp3, Pleiades and a few others personally....Dale Teauge of boxer4racing.com is tha man! Infact we are having a meet in western NC saturday. I hope to get some old skoolers out there.

Check out the threads in the meet forum.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17635

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18447