Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Where to find new temporary spare tire for '85?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 subbin'85

subbin'85

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Roanoke, VA

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:16 AM

I have an '85 GL Wagon (4WD), and my temporary spare tire has finally worn out. I bought another rim and full-size tire to use as a spare, but I would like to find another temporary so that I can carry it in my engine compartment.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy such a tire new? (and don't say junkyard.) I called my local Subaru dealer, and he didn't know where to find one, but he gave me the tire type: 185/70S237HR. Several local tire dealers didn't know either. I don't want to use one from a junkyard, b/c it would have been dry-rotting in an engine compartment for 15-20 years.

Can anyone help me?

#2 X35 Performance

X35 Performance

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Wichita Falls, Texas

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:35 AM

Look for an XT (not an XT6, they have 5-lug hubs) in the junkyard. They have the spare in the trunk.

I put my 18 year old spare on the other day and it looked as good as new.

#3 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:35 AM

I know this isn't exactly the answer you are looking for, but...

Since you bought a full sized spare wheel, just put a tire on it. It will still fit under the hood.

#4 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:51 AM

I still have my 22 year old tire and it looks perfect. I'm planning on running it as my spare for the buggy.

My bet is you can find a spare pizza cutter in good shape for spare tire purposes.

Do a search on what size tires will fit under the hood. Seem as though this has been figured out before?

My thoughts,
Glenn
82 SubaruHummer with temp spare.
01 Forester spare with no air!

#5 tappermanor

tappermanor

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Vermont

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:36 PM

I have one that looks brand new. (maybe never used, from an XT) It has the 4-lug pattern. You can have it cheap. I'm not sure if you want to pay the expensive shipping though.

Tapper

I

I have an '85 GL Wagon (4WD), and my temporary spare tire has finally worn out. I bought another rim and full-size tire to use as a spare, but I would like to find another temporary so that I can carry it in my engine compartment.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy such a tire new? (and don't say junkyard.) I called my local Subaru dealer, and he didn't know where to find one, but he gave me the tire type: 185/70S237HR. Several local tire dealers didn't know either. I don't want to use one from a junkyard, b/c it would have been dry-rotting in an engine compartment for 15-20 years.

Can anyone help me?

#6 subbin'85

subbin'85

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Roanoke, VA

Posted 09 August 2004 - 03:24 PM

Thanks, guys, for your responses and helpful advice. Special thanks to calebz for pointing out the obvious and solving my problem. At a glance, I thought there was no way possible that a full-size tire would fit in the space under the hood, but after calebz suggested it, I gave it a try and--what do you know?--it just barely fit. Problem solved.

Thanks!

subbin'85

#7 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:15 PM

if its not a turbo or MPFI engine...a FULL SIZE tire and wheel will fit under the hood on the assigned place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users