Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Re: Should i buy a subaru??

First, why are you asking me, I'm on the west coast(no rust) Second, "BRUS"-WTF these are "Roo's" Third, what are you looking for in a car? mpg, top speed, handling, $$$$, aftermarket parts, reliability, fix it yourself ability, hauling/towing...

80-89 subaru's are cheep and plentiful 4x4's "the bic lighter of cars" that will go like a goat, but aftermarket modifications are few, mostly fabrication. Newer generations: 90-94 legacy, your best bet, bulletproof motor(2.2), I won't touch a 2.5liter(except 2.5Turbo), 2.0 Turbo's (WRX) are solid too, but 2.5 &2.0 are interference motors(don't break a timing belt), 2.5 headgaskets prone to failure, OR ANY AUTOMATIC SUBARU BEFORE 99' unless it's been rebuilt by a pro. All subaru's leak oil, its just how much... ALL MACHINES require maintinence,

it boils down to 'The beauty of AWD' nothing like four wheel drifts on muddy backroads with a low center of gravity... out hillclimbing yota's and jeeps, and with a boxer motor, redline just means MAX POWER, Subaru's arn't purpose built trail rigs, or street racers, they are rally cars at heart, but can be tweaked.

"subaru owners do it on all fours"

Quote:

Originally Posted by subaru987

HEy,

i'm really considering purchasing a subaru, and wondered whether you could help me decide on whether or not i'm subaru "material". Really just curious why people LOVE "BRUS" so much???, and why i should get it over another brand. I also want to know if i would fit in as a subaru driver, as a few of my friends and owners and keep trying to explain to me how subaru drivers are different from any one else, why are you guys so different, what does it take to be a true subaru owner?

cheers,

Mike (NY)

:-\

interesting... did you answer your own question?

I got my first Soob in 2000. It was an Outback sport. Loved the way it looked with the hood scoop. Being an old Jeep person I was tempted to drive it off road immediately. Soon afterwards I realized how versatile it was.

It handles great on road, handles great off road. You just have to know your limits.

in regards to old school soobs I got my BRAT b/c it's really easy to work on and the engine is similar to my OBS. Plus it was only 550.

Welcome to the board.

bW

In my view, the first, and all important, question to answer when considering the purchase of a Subaru is DO I REALLY NEED A CAR WITH AWD? Because among AWD cars, Subaru is a real contender. However, if you don't actually NEED AWD there many, many other cars to consider. I will say that a Subaru has a very good "blend" of desirable qualities even when AWD is excluded.

But other cars without AWD, have greater reliability than a Subaru, or get better gas mileage than a Subaru, or have more power than a Subaru. AWD requires a lot of extra maintenance expense, if you don't need it, why pay for it?

I live in the deep south (no snow), and I have been pretty happy with my 99 Forester. However, I probably will not buy another Subaru. Subaru is a very good AWD car, but for me the liabilities of AWD outweigh the benefits. This is just my personal situation, I know that a Subaru may have been the best possible choice for you.

Liabilities? what liabilities? Even when there isn't snow, AWD can be handy, you just need to do more spirited driving to take advantage of it. i bet there's mus down south, and AWD can pull you out of that parking spot that looked good before it rained.

BTW, how many people got a PM about the why should I buy a subaru?

I consider mass PMings an abuse of the system. If you have a question to ask, post it in the appropriate forum, dont ask 100 people the same question. If we're interested, we'll look and answer.

I believe that "987" means to kill somebody (If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me) So, does that mean you want to kill subarus?

Why buy a Subaru?? Well I'm a Chevy guy and I know Chevy's pretty well but it took me awhile to figure them out but Subaru on the other hand, they are so easy to work on I was amazed!!! The parts depending on the era of the Subaru can either be really easy to find or can be a pain in the butt. Granted I like my Gen 1's but its becoming a pain to find parts for them in wrecking yards anymore. I just put a remand waterpump into my '78 Brat and the pump cost me 16 bucks where as the waterpump for my 1988 Camaro w/v6 cost me about 50 bucks. So why buy a Subaru, cheap and easy to repair when they need it. ALso they run forever if you take care of them:D

I consider mass PMings an abuse of the system. If you have a question to ask, post it in the appropriate forum, dont ask 100 people the same question. If we're interested, we'll look and answer.

I agree

I get one or two of these a month.. I have been trying to be nice and answer, but I think this is the last one.

Liabilities? what liabilities? Even when there isn't snow, AWD can be handy, you just need to do more spirited driving to take advantage of it. i bet there's mus down south, and AWD can pull you out of that parking spot that looked good before it rained.

I believe that "987" means to kill somebody (If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me) So, does that mean you want to kill subarus?

sorry about that just getting used to the system, won't do it again. Just very excited about having a soob, and also have nothing to do a work, thanks again mike

• 9 months later...

On my second Outback. The 2001 I traded in on a new Outback 2.5i was in great shape, not one problem in 4 years, no oil leaks and i used it off road a lot (hobby related) So why did I get rid of it? A very nice surprise, unexpected money came my way, so why not?

I have had two AWD cars in the past..an 89 Audi 90 and a 95 Audi 90s. Great driving, but the Subaru is not very far behind in handeling and WAY ahead in maintance costs. I think Audis are about status and think a Subaru is the sensible car to get. Now, if they would only come out with a hybrid Subaru..my high speed days are behind me.

Eric

I didn't. After two, the dealer was such an idiot that I decided to look around. I found that the Honda Accord with the seat folded down had a decent amount of cargo space. and the V6 gets better mileage, is much faster, and burns regular. The price for an Accord EX with leather, V6 and satellite radio was $300 more than the base Outback wagon.

I still have the 97 if I really need AWD, but I got Nokian snows on the Honda.

as of right now,i'm on my 7th one.there must be something good about them cuz when it comes to cars,i'm VERY!! picky

i think the reason i'd buy(bought) a subie is.

1-i find them alot easier to work on then some american cars i've worked on.

2-i find them fun to drive.i don't need much power to have fun(i wanna keep my licence,thank you)

3-and as someone once said to me(you can do just about anything in a subaru):-p

the one thing that still might be the main reason that got me into subies,is at the time when i got my first one(back around 97)they had the image of being an underdog car company.since 97 i've only had one none subie,that was a 99 dodge avenger.worst mistake ever.

as of right now,i'm on my 7th one.there must be something good about them cuz when it comes to cars,i'm VERY!! picky

As am I, but I'm only on my first one. . .

i think the reason i'd buy(bought) a subie is.

1-i find them alot easier to work on then some american cars i've worked on.

How about easier than almost any car I've worked on. . .

2-i find them fun to drive.i don't need much power to have fun(i wanna keep my licence,thank you)

That is probably the main reason I will never own an Impreza. I just cannot stand to see potential wasted in a machine.

3-and as someone once said to me(you can do just about anything in a subaru):-p

Just about? I have yet to find a limit to the capabilities of my Subaru. While "off the line" speed is unimportant to me, Emily (My Subie) has plenty of guts everywhere it counts.

the one thing that still might be the main reason that got me into subies,is at the time when i got my first one(back around 97)they had the image of being an underdog car company.since 97 i've only had one none subie,that was a 99 dodge avenger.worst mistake ever.

They really still are. Or, at least they are considered a "niche" car, for a particular kind of person. . . I guess "that kind of person" is me, at the very least.

(red text was from me, black is the original poster of the quote)

When I lived in Boise 4WD was something nice to have for camping and hunting, etc. So, I had a 4X4 pickup. When I decided to move out of town and up to the mountains 4WD became a necessity. I talked my ex-wife into a 1986 GL-10 Wagon. She really hated the thought of driving a "station wagon", but I convinced her that she'd like it. She did, and as a matter of fact, she's driven Soobs ever since. Even after the divorce. I think she's on her 4th now, an '03 or '04 Outback.

I still have a 4X4 pickup for stuff, but I also own a '91 Loyale MT SPFI and '92 Loyale AT SPFI.

That first '86 GL-10 was a pain in the butt, however I learned a lot with it. It was a turbo and someone had put a non-turbo (single row) radiator in it. We had overheating problems with it from the get go. Unfortunately, by the time we realized what the problem was, she'd toasted the engine and I was out of the country. So, "a friend" gave her a "good deal" on a used engine, installed for $3K!!! Oh well, she got that car in the divorce. LOL

I've owned an '86 Legacy AWD wagon, as well as my two Loyales and they're all good cars.

Now, I've got 3 teenagers and can't think of a vehicle I'd rather have them gaining experience driving in that would be better than my Soobs. They're low center of gravity, responsive, reliable, will take some abuse, not over-powered, yet still fun to drive and hold a couple of friends, as well as relatively easy and inexpensive to maintain.