Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is This Possible?????

Hey guys. the ea81 motors are great for putting around town and stuff like that, i have heard alot of bad things about the ea82 motors, but the ej22 heard nothing but good. now this motor will be going into a 85 ea81 hatch, has anyone found a way to put a d/r 4 speed or d/r 5 speed on these motors. that is the only thing slowing me down right now. i would appreciate any info you can give me :-)

um... ea82s kick rump roast in my opinion. changing a belt every 60k miles is no problem, and if your cooling system is not neglected theres no head gasket problmes either..

but ej to ea tranny, peepl have made adaptors, and theres a guy that will build you one, with a modified flywheel. i think the kit was around 350 bucks? i dont remember, i decided against it tho, because it would be so easy to break stuff, especially with low range.

im very happy offroading in low gear, with an ea82 motor, in my hatch.

Yeah i want to know also, as i have a 92 legacy that i am planning on using the motor out of the car and possibly using the d/r 5 speed i have. so if an adapter would work, might be a good idea, or i will just find a ej22 5 speed tranny and use that instead.

EJ's are good engines to be sure, but I question anyone who uses a timing belt equiped engine off-road. The mud, grit and water factor is just too dangerous for belts and their tensioners. While this may indeed be a cheaper option than building a high output EA81, and probably fine for something like a rock crawler that won't see much mud, I would personally go with a built EA81, or a larger pushrod engine like the Chevy V6 that Lumpycam put into Unhatched at first, and now has put in his lifted Gen 1... The 2.3L Ford 4 cylinder would be a decent choice as well, and no more expensive than an EJ.... especially since you need a custom adaptor anyway. The 2300 Ford's can put out around 200 HP with a little work.

If you are hard core Subaru, then go with an EA81, and build it hot. 110 - 120 HP isn't out of the question with a little work, and if you want to spend a little more, you could get a complete rebuild Kit from RAM performance and get 140 HP using their heads.... That's as much as an EJ22.

GD

yeah the belts can be a problem, squeezing a 2.3 ford under the hood its gonna be difficult to. RAM makes some nice parts but aren't them primarily airplane motors that there building??? and have you seen some of those prices OUCH!!

It's only about $1k for a set of heads - not that bad considering. And I think you can get their complete rebuild kit with the heads for $2k or $3k. And as far as airplane stuff goes - that entirely depends on the cam grind you use. Delta can grind anything you want. You need the better flowing heads to get to 140 HP.

The 2300 will fit - especially with a lift. I have seen one stuffed into a Sami....

Notice that it's a ROCK CRAWLER - no mud. Dry rocks. Talk to Chef Tim about timing belt tensioners and mud..... Not on any wheeler I will ever own that's for sure. I know what muddy water does to bearings - tell my last alternator and my last two power steering idlers that mud is cool with bearings.... jeez.

GD

i want to argue with anybody that THINKS their efforts has made an extra 25 hp.

without numbers you are just thinking you did a good job, na hp is hard to get, even with cams, and alot of head work.

but this is slightly off the topic,

who is it that made those plates? they were made to order, took a few weeks to get. i have looked and looked.

Maybe I should say it again - the JDM Dual Carb EA81 was rated at 110 HP. They have 9.5:1 compression, a different cam, different intake, and different exhaust - same heads tho. The EA81 race engines were even more burly - sporting crazy dual carbs mounted stright to the head's with no manifold. I have never seen a spec sheet on one of these "safari" engines, but it's got to be pretty wicked.

Starting with an EA81 hydro lifter engine which is rated at 80 HP, you increase the compression with EA71 pistons, and decked heads (.020). Install a Delta cam, increase the carburation and the exhaust capacity, and you will have essentially what the JDM dual carb engines had.... probably 100 - 110 HP. RAM claims 140 with all these things, and the addition of slightly better flowing heads (stock heads that have been dual-ported).

Qman's Brat can tear it up - I hear it can easily keep up with a modified EA82 Turbo wagon..... and it still has the 4 speed. I've seen it in action at the Rally-X.

GD

lol all i want to know is who i can contact to do this conversion im not looking for reasons y i should and shouldn't do it..
Hey Freeldr This is Jerry, i have 1 of those adaptures that you are talking about. The guy is in Colorado his name is Joel and his # 1-303-287-8889. Don't call him if you are not serious about having this adapture made don't waste his time. He makes 6 of them a year and the 1 i got cost me 450.00 that was over a year ago. This guy dose a really good job on this plate. It comes with the plate and bolts and a flywheel. Like i said before don't call him if you are just jaw jacking. Thanks Jerry

If you are hard core Subaru, then go with an EA81, and build it hot. 110 - 120 HP isn't out of the question with a little work, ....GD
GD,

Where are you getting these numbers from? Is there something that shows this somewhere or are they guesstimates?

I would be surprised if you can get it in the engine bay as the later motor is wider.But to help you with your problem maybe harder than you think.The shaft from your gearbox may not be long enough to reach the spline in ej22 motor.You may encounter clutch lining up problems and the bolt holes on the gearbox most likely won't line up.Your best bet is to find a subaru mechanic and have a adaptor plate made for your belt housing so you can bolt up to the ej22 motor.To be honest I'm not sure that what you want to do can be done but its worth a try if its what you want to do.If you are succesful I would be interested in hearing the outcome.Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Hey guys. the ea81 motors are great for putting around town and stuff like that, i have heard alot of bad things about the ea82 motors, but the ej22 heard nothing but good. now this motor will be going into a 85 ea81 hatch, has anyone found a way to put a d/r 4 speed or d/r 5 speed on these motors. that is the only thing slowing me down right now. i would appreciate any info you can give me :-)

GD,

Where are you getting these numbers from? Is there something that shows this somewhere or are they guesstimates?

Yes, in fact, there is. Here is the spec sheet for a JDM EA81 RX which clearly shows the bore and stroke, displacement, compression, HP and torque.... This guy would blow the doors off an EA81 Turbo BTW, which was only rated at 95 HP.

sheet8a.jpg

Then there was this bad boy, which appears to have some ugly dual port heads on it with some serious looking carbs:

spengine.jpg

safariengine.jpg

(Notice the cool snorkels? Probably a dust thing...)

If Subaru could get 110 with single ports, and RAM can get 140 with their ported stock heads, then I'm betting this mother with it's custom heads was even better....

GD

You guys are pretty close, but those sepcs are in metric, KG and PS. In english this means that it put out 108Hp and 108 LB/ft of torque. Which really isn't that much over the US spec stuff. The only reason that our stuff is lower is because of all the import standards that have to be met. Not to mention emissions nazi's over here pretty much make auto makers overseas kill their engines when they send em our way.

In short, there is nothing wrong with dropping in a bigger/newer engine to get more power.

When I built my est. 140Hp EA81, I put nearly 600 bucks, and over 70 hours of time into building it. Thats a lot of work and money. For only 300 bucks, and about 10 hours of fab time I swapped up to the 2.7L and got about 10 more hp and about 35% more torque out of the deal. Not to mention the use of FI right out of the box, which no matter what you say, FI will always make more power than a carb.

Now back on topic, it isn't really ALL that hard to get an EJ motor into an EA car, with a little time and money invested into an adapter plate, flywheel spacer, and associated hardware, it really isn't all that hard. Once I have my shop up and rolling, this will be one of the things that NDJ eng. offers to the public.

One of the main reasons for this is because of my own jealous greed. I think that it is entirely possible to have an EG33 powered 3-door. I just need to find the time to sit down the put some product together. That and get an EG33 for a reasonable price with computer and harness (it's always the computer that gets you).