Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have a 96 Outback and want to add a rear hatch bike rack. Tried a Hollywood F6 and couldn't make it work tho the chart said it would fit. The problem seems to be the huge window. I need a rear rack as I can't lift much so the roof racks are out. This is for frequent short trips to a bike trail. Also want to leave it on most of the time and want to open the rear hatch.. As the Sube has over 100K, don't want to spend the buck for a hitch and hitch mounted bike rack. Does any rear/window mounted rack really work on these Outbacks?

Thanks, Walt

I have a Rhodes (I think they are no more ... bought out by Yakima) that fits on the hatch part via six straps connecting to strategic points on the door. (2 straight down, each parallel starddling the license plate, 2 to the lower side, 2 up top). When I was biking a lot, I usually just kept it on all the time. On a very few occasions, a strap would fall out of its fitting when I opened the hatch, but not usually. If I was careful and opened the hatch slowly, the thing would stay firmly affixed (of course, not with the bike on there. Although I tried that a time or two. The weight of the bike made it difficult for the liftgate struts to keep the door open).

Go to http://www.rei.com and check out the slection of bike racks. They have a fitting guide and everything.