Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

anyone ever put XT seats in an Ea81?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Sick in the Head 4 Subaru

• Members
  • 706 posts
  • Atascadero

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:49 PM

so I have these car seats, that need to go in the wagon, I am about to jump into it next week when I am at school, but is there anyone that has already done this and can point me in the right direction as to how easy/difficult the modification is? any pointers?

#2 gravelRX

gravelRX

Driven with both feet.

• Members
  • 885 posts
  • Roanoke, VA

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:27 PM

OK, You got your XT seats, flip 'em over and cut off the original seat mounting brackets, not the adjustable runners. Get you some 1x1" box tubing and weld it to the inner runner that adjusts the travel of the seat. Put in EA81 car. Now, take some flat stock and cut it into 4" strips with appropriate holes for the original bolts. Check alignment with holes in floor. Tack weld them in or if your afraid of fire(I was), mark them and tack outside the car.

Check that the bolt holes line up, finish welding.

I had to cut the carpet because I made my tabs too short.
I also used 2x1" in the front to make it a bit of a rake. I'm tall.

Posted Image

Jay

#3 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:38 PM

That's a dang nice install GravelRX and it even looks like the colors matche pretty close!

You should copy and paste this up into a new article. Look up above on the nav bar and on the second row you could add it there under the USRM or Auto Tech.

Personally I sat in the XT seats and they felt uncomfortable. Arch installed them in his EA81 hatch and I sat in those also. Still prefer my EA82 GL seats. The head rest really botherd me on the XT seats.

Anyway you should post it up! This question comes up pretty offten :)

#4 sparkster58

sparkster58

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  • Alki-West Seattle

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:56 PM

is the instalation different in a ea82? or the same ?

#5 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Sick in the Head 4 Subaru

• Members
  • 706 posts
  • Atascadero

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:02 PM

Thanks a bunch gravelRX, I'll go ahead and look into that. looks like they fit nicely in your car.

MorganM: ya I have to agree that the ea82GL seats are more "rump friendly" however I need some seats that are gonna hold me in place as I am going ape$%!# on the sand dunes and whatnot

-Mike

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 17 July 2004 - 11:55 PM

Qman has XT-6 Seats in his Big Brat, and Isuzu Impulse seats in his street Brat. The Impulse seats are good for us tall folk apparently.

GD

#7 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:15 AM

Yeah, Impulse seats are really quite nice. Never thought of that

#8 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:04 AM

I have '90 legacy seats in my '80 GL wagon... :cool:

its a tight fit, but it works! you need to just make screw plates for the seat rails.. cause the ea81 seat rails will mount the legacy seats (no mods to the floor of the car, only the seat) if you can get the rails on the seats (i stood the ea and legacy seats next to eachother on the gound and measured where the holes needed to be drilled in the bottom of the seats and rails)

#9 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:54 AM

Qman has XT-6 Seats in his Big Brat, and Isuzu Impulse seats in his street Brat. The Impulse seats are good for us tall folk apparently.

GD

Dang! I Should have got those out of Arch's Impulse RS before he junked it! :( That's why I didnht like the XT seats. Headrest hits me in the back of the neck!

#10 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 18 July 2004 - 09:04 AM

i like my xt6 seats way more than my impulse rs seats. lotsa work and welding. http://www.ultimates...xt6 seats hatch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users