Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyone ever put XT seats in an Ea81?

OK, You got your XT seats, flip 'em over and cut off the original seat mounting brackets, not the adjustable runners. Get you some 1x1" box tubing and weld it to the inner runner that adjusts the travel of the seat. Put in EA81 car. Now, take some flat stock and cut it into 4" strips with appropriate holes for the original bolts. Check alignment with holes in floor. Tack weld them in or if your afraid of fire(I was), mark them and tack outside the car.

Check that the bolt holes line up, finish welding.

I had to cut the carpet because I made my tabs too short.

I also used 2x1" in the front to make it a bit of a rake. I'm tall.

23DSC00008-1-med.JPG

Jay

That's a dang nice install GravelRX and it even looks like the colors matche pretty close!

You should copy and paste this up into a new article. Look up above on the nav bar and on the second row you could add it there under the USRM or Auto Tech.

Personally I sat in the XT seats and they felt uncomfortable. Arch installed them in his EA81 hatch and I sat in those also. Still prefer my EA82 GL seats. The head rest really botherd me on the XT seats.

Anyway you should post it up! This question comes up pretty offten :)

Thanks a bunch gravelRX, I'll go ahead and look into that. looks like they fit nicely in your car.

MorganM: ya I have to agree that the ea82GL seats are more "rump friendly" however I need some seats that are gonna hold me in place as I am going ape$%!# on the sand dunes and whatnot

-Mike

I have '90 legacy seats in my '80 GL wagon... :cool:

its a tight fit, but it works! you need to just make screw plates for the seat rails.. cause the ea81 seat rails will mount the legacy seats (no mods to the floor of the car, only the seat) if you can get the rails on the seats (i stood the ea and legacy seats next to eachother on the gound and measured where the holes needed to be drilled in the bottom of the seats and rails)

Qman has XT-6 Seats in his Big Brat, and Isuzu Impulse seats in his street Brat. The Impulse seats are good for us tall folk apparently.

GD

Dang! I Should have got those out of Arch's Impulse RS before he junked it! :( That's why I didnht like the XT seats. Headrest hits me in the back of the neck!