Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 A/C installation.

So, I have an entire set of a/c components for an ea81, and sense my brat, is equipped for optional a/c installation. It has all the plugs, and wireing for a/c. Just not the a/c stuff it's self. So, I'm going to install it. What I would like to do however, is convert it over to the new stuff. So it's alot cheeper to have recharged. I don't want to pay 400 bucks to have it recharged with Freon and find out it's leaking later. The a/c system was working before it was pulled out of the other car, it had pressure, so sense my friend wasn't to bright, he cut the hoses... So short of the hoses, I have everything else. Anything I should be looking out for? I thought I'd run it past the board incase theres something I may miss, and don't want to miss. Thanks everyone!:)

take apart all your connections, replace ALL the O-rings. also ramove all the old oil, the mineral oil won't play well with the 134's PAG, this goes for the compressor as well as the lines and stuff. I would reccomend getting a new dryer/reciever, this will prevent any problems further down the road, as they tend to build up quite a water content over time, and will degrade your system if you put it in there. Once you have all the connections cleaned, new o-rings, and oil out, install it all, except for the compressor wire. (This prevents accidentally turning on the compressor and frying it, remember, no oil). Take it down to your local shop for a charge. Make sure you tell the tech that it needs a full system of oil, and the compressor line hooked up. Lotsa luck to ya.

I remember when all the hub-bub about switching over from R-12 to 134a. Shops charged an arm and a leg because you had to change some of the parts of the system, conditioner or dryer or something like that to have it work right. BULL CRAP

I did the switch from R-12 to R134a on my 1986 Ford truck. I just got a change over kit at Pepboys for around $30, that had the quick disconnect fittings, gauge, oil and a three of cans of 134a. Screwed the the 134a adapters to the HI and LOW connections and put the oil and 134a stuff in the system. That was 8yrs ago and it's still blowing cold air today.

So, I'm gonna replace the Dryer, cause this one looks crusty anyway. Put it all together, go buy the r134a kit or whatever it is, with the cans from wallmart or somethin, and try it out. I know both systems I have access to parts from held refrigerant. So I'll try that rout first. I may get new o-rings yet though.

• 5 weeks later...

I installed factory air in my 84 Brat a few years ago, works great. I did not junk the other Brat untill I knew it was working in mine. If you never had a brat with air before, it is easy to miss something small. When I was done with mine, I realized I had missed a little vacuum devise that raises the Idle when the comp. turns on. It is located behind the carb and looks like a cylinder with a rod sticking out of it. Also, have a professional vacuum down the system and retrofit it with the new type freon. When I was done with my installation, I took it to the Subaru dealer, and they put all new"O" rings, and recharged the system for under $100.00. Good Luck, and stay KOOL.

So, I have an entire set of a/c components for an ea81, and sense my brat, is equipped for optional a/c installation. It has all the plugs, and wireing for a/c. Just not the a/c stuff it's self. So, I'm going to install it. What I would like to do however, is convert it over to the new stuff. So it's alot cheeper to have recharged. I don't want to pay 400 bucks to have it recharged with Freon and find out it's leaking later. The a/c system was working before it was pulled out of the other car, it had pressure, so sense my friend wasn't to bright, he cut the hoses... So short of the hoses, I have everything else. Anything I should be looking out for? I thought I'd run it past the board incase theres something I may miss, and don't want to miss. Thanks everyone!:)