Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I am looking into purchasing a 2000 legacy (2.5, 5 speed manual) to replace my 1993. I found the following open recalls in carfax for it and I would like to know your experiences if any with these recalls. The vehicle has 94k and seems perfect other than undercarriage rust .

Manufacturer recall/service

bulletin issued

Recall #WWM961 Rear suspension

sub-frame corrosion

Recall #WWP991 Engine cooling system conditioner

Cooling conditioner sounds like a head gasket problem, but I was under the impression that 2.5 motors were pretty sound by 2000. Any comments appreciated!

Apparently, the 2nd gen 2.5 is susceptible to external head gasket leaks. Not as bad as the 1st gen internal leaks, but still an issue. The coolant conditioner Subaru recommends is a sort of stop leak. Not exactly fixing the root problem, IMHO.

Cooling conditioner sounds like a head gasket problem, but I was under the impression that 2.5 motors were pretty sound by 2000. Any comments appreciated!

Well now they leak externally. :banghead:

The 2000 and up are still too new to have lots of mileage yet. I guess time will tell, I think the jury is still out on them.

Warranty is nice but the car already has 94k. Can anyone tell me what a fair price for gasket replacement on a 2000 is? Also would it be practical to put a 2.2 in the 2000? I have a 1993 with a perfect 2.2 (170k) but the suspension, body and brakes are right bashed. Anyone in NE have interest in such a beast?

yeah, my EJ22 runs top and I'm abusive as all hell to it. 15,000 miles in less than 5 months and I shift on regular basis above 4,000 RPM. (most days I start off from every stop with just winding out every gear.)

They say these motors are bullet proof stock, and I tend to think beyond the normal wear and tear of any engine with leaky seals, it is.

well it looks like I will be trading my 93 2.2 and a few grand for a 2000 2.5 tomorrow. I'm a bit leery but I can't find anything wrong with the car and it drives beautifully. My 2.2 runs OK but needs brakes, axles, struts, body panels and is poor on safety with no abs, passenger airbag (unless you count the wife). I'd really like to hear from anyone who has any tips on preventing HG problems...it seems obvious to me that I should monitor temperature and carry coolant in the vehicle. Please share any tips you might have on this vehicle O wise subagurus.

Don't do it! We have two 2.2s here (111K and 150K) and both run sweeter than our 01 OB w/ 65K. The 2.5 is simply the worst engine I've ever seen...sounds like a diesel in the morning and we've had 3 injectors replaced on it...#3 has been done twice. Even disregarding the enginge the rest of the car is pretty much a POS. If the previous owner didn't have the subframe recall done then this car is no safer than your 93. It would be cheaper to fix the 93 than do HG's.

• 2 weeks later...

Google it. :)

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=11004#post11004

I picked up a 2000 L a few months ago, about 65k on the clock. I noticed a very little bit of weeping from the rear drivers side HG, but nothing I'm worried about yet. Just did a coolant flush and I'll probably add some "conditioner" in the next few thousand miles if I notice any increase in the weeping.

As far as the sub frame corrosion goes, it seems they forgot to spray undercoat on the rear which can lead to breakage in the heavy salt states (northeast winters).

Good luck..

Warranty is nice but the car already has 94k. Can anyone tell me what a fair price for gasket replacement on a 2000 is? Also would it be practical to put a 2.2 in the 2000? I have a 1993 with a perfect 2.2 (170k) but the suspension, body and brakes are right bashed. Anyone in NE have interest in such a beast?

I would be careful with a different engine swap. Here in Washington State it will never pass emissions. My bro-in-law tried it and when they plugged the emissions computer in the message came back that the engine didn't belong to the car! Smart ***** computer anyway. So they wouldn't pass it, he couldn't get updated tabs. He ended up putting the original engine back in. I think they quit doing the end pipe probe for 95 and newer. Good luck.

I would be careful with a different engine swap. Here in Washington State it will never pass emissions. My bro-in-law tried it and when they plugged the emissions computer in the message came back that the engine didn't belong to the car! Smart ***** computer anyway. So they wouldn't pass it, he couldn't get updated tabs. He ended up putting the original engine back in. I think they quit doing the end pipe probe for 95 and newer. Good luck.
Actually it totally depends on the state you live in.

California is the harshest but you can still do an engine swap as long as you put in a motor that is the same year or newer than yours. And the same class, i.e. you cannot put a truck motor in a car, etc.

So you can put a 2.2 out of a new impreza into you legacy as long as it is a new model year that your current motor.