Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Justy will NOT move????

I have a 1988 Justy.It ran fine until one day it just seemed to let loose....like it went out of gear. I was able to push it out of the way, where is has been sitting. Now it will not move at all..even in neutral, and makes a grinding noise on the front drivers side when it is put into gear. This of course is making it impossible to get it towed anywhere cheaply. What could be the cause of this??It is an excellent runner, and I would love to have this fixed! Thanks in advance, Lindsey

well it could be a couple things. The driver side axle could have popped and caught on a suspension piece making it so it will not roll, move, whatever, even when pushed. The other thing I would check is the clutch. It could have worn down to the point where it will not move under its own power. Seeing you say it will not move at all is leading me to believe that you blew an axle and it caught on something underneath thus making it impossible to move

Could just be that the axle stripped it's splines on the CV joint. Check to see if the axles are spinning with it in gear (raise the car off the ground first, so it can't possibly drive anywhere accidentaly). I've never done an axle replacement on a Justy, but from doing other transversely mounted FWD cars, and lots of normal Subaru's, it's probably not real hard.

GD

Could just be that the axle stripped it's splines on the CV joint. Check to see if the axles are spinning with it in gear (raise the car off the ground first, so it can't possibly drive anywhere accidentaly). I've never done an axle replacement on a Justy, but from doing other transversely mounted FWD cars, and lots of normal Subaru's, it's probably not real hard.

GD

What does it mean if the axels ARE turning??Sorry to sound stupid, but I am a woman!! LOL