Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone I am new to this message board and need to pick somebodys brain. I have a 98 Legacy GT sedan with the typical piston slap that seems to have affected other lower end components (possibly wrist pin)(85K mi) . I found a JDM EJ25DE AVCS for a reasonable price as I know the dealer wants a huge fortune to change the shortblock. the problem is this,.... I am pretty sure my motor is NOT AVCS (which I am pretty sure is a variable valve timing). It should bolt up,... yes. But what other mods would I have to do to use this motor? Any options or comments are appreciated!

Hi everyone I am new to this message board and need to pick somebodys brain. I have a 98 Legacy GT sedan with the typical piston slap that seems to have affected other lower end components (possibly wrist pin)(85K mi) . I found a JDM EJ25DE AVCS for a reasonable price as I know the dealer wants a huge fortune to change the shortblock. the problem is this,.... I am pretty sure my motor is NOT AVCS (which I am pretty sure is a variable valve timing). It should bolt up,... yes. But what other mods would I have to do to use this motor? Any options or comments are appreciated!

If you are going to all the trouble of an engine swap I would put in a EJ22. You are still going to have head gasket issues with the EJ25 at some point.

JMO

Sorry dude, but that guy is feeding you a pile of it. There is no JDM EJ25, at all. That's just the US. And that DE designation on the end further proves that he's full of crap. DE means Direct Injection, Electronic Ignition and are Nissan engine designations.

If you found a JDM EJ20 with AVCS then I'll believe it. That came out of a 02-up STi.

My personal preference though would be to find an EJ20G from a 94 JDM WRX or STi. That is a closed-deck block design, which is stronger and cooled better.

OK so Let me get this straight.... If it is indeed a 2.5 with DOHC it is a phase 1 motor, the same as what my 98 GT has,... so I will not need to worry about any wiring differences or computer changes,... just a direct swap. Or is there another 2.5 w/ DOHC I dont know about?