Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Installing Navigation System for 2005 Outback has become somewhat of a nightmare

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 newuser

newuser

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 19 July 2004 - 07:56 AM

I recently purchased a 2005 XT Turbo Outback with the idea that having a navigation system installed would be a snap. It has turnedout to be somewhat of a nightmare. Several places turned down the job, saying because of layout of the dash it would be too dificult to install. The Subaru Company would offer no help on ideas at all. I personally think Subaru missed the boat by not offering a Navigation System in their 2005 models. The one company that spent alot of time and help was Car Toys of Bellevue outside of Seattle. Daniel Kim the manager was very helpful. I choose the Pioneer AIC-N1 Navigation. The whole thing is going to run alittle over $3000. It is going in this week end. I will keep you posted on how it turns out. Once you have had navigation, it is difficult to do without it. I got rid of a lexus to buy a Turbo Outback. And quite frankly I like the Subau better than the Lexus. The Lexus had more gadgets, and felt more like a boat. The Subaru has instant power, and drives somewhat like a sports car. With the Subaru I feel like I am the one that is driving. With the Lexus it was the other was around. It was driving me.

#2 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:12 AM

OnStar was offered with H6 since '03. Did they drop it now? If it's available, H6 with OnStar would probably cost less than $3000 over XT.

#3 rcoaster

rcoaster

H6 Power!

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:52 AM

OnStar was offered with H6 since '03. Did they drop it now? If it's available, H6 with OnStar would probably cost less than $3000 over XT.

I think they did do away with OnStar, which is a GM product. Don't forget, OnStar is a subscription based service and there is the possibility of yourself being monitored, like having a "Big Brother" watching over what you are doing in the car.

A GPS navigation system gives you voice and visual feedback throughout your travel, where the OnStar system only connected you to a operator who will give you voice instructions. There's no visual feedback.

#4 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:22 PM

I'm told the JDM 2005's have a nav system, but so far it is only in Japanese. If you look at the one in the 2005 Nissan's thery look like they are a bolt in for where they should be on the Legacy's. That would make since because Nissan provides a lot of electrical stuff to Subaru.

#5 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:14 AM

I like the Garmin GPS units for their portability. I can use it in any car, or carry it on treks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users