Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81 CV joints..too weak!

Had a great time off roading with CarlJWNC a couple of weekends ago, but my front CV joints took a beating (both are clicking in a straight line!)

Has anyone investigated/found a stronger outer joint/stub axle that might fit our cars?

Mine are lifetime guarantee, but they seem to only survive a few tough miles in 4-Low....there has got to be a stronger replacement out there. After all, late model Toyota trucks, Chevy's, Land Rovers...they all use CV joints with lots of wheel travel.

Any ideas are appreciated.

I have had good luck with the GCK brand joints from Autozone. They are only $90, and have a lifetime warrantee. Plus they are NEW not remaned. And they are TRUE 4WD axles, not 2WD axles (smaller diameter shaft and smaller joint). I must say however that my friend bought a set and had serious vibration issues with his - not sure if it was just one of them or both. Others on the board, and myself have had good luck tho. And of course you can always return them.

GD

not 2WD axles (smaller diameter shaft and smaller joint).

GD, hate to say this, but it's the opposite. 2WD axles are thicker and have bigger joints. The reason: If you have only 2 axles pushing the car, there will be more stress on them than 4 axles. I actually have one 2WD axle and one 4WD axle on the front of my 4WD Legacy. You can easily tell the difference, the 2WD one is quite thicker.

These axles are from www.cvaxles.com by the way. They are the BEST Subaru axle builders in the world as far as I'm concerned. People in Europe rally with their axles, and they're just a small shop in Ocala, FL, about an hour from me. $55 an axle, tough as nails, true lifetime warranty (I've tested it)...

Had a great time off roading with CarlJWNC a couple of weekends ago, but my front CV joints took a beating (both are clicking in a straight line!)

Mine are clicking too, after our little off-road jaunt:-\ only about 5k on 'em.

GD, hate to say this, but it's the opposite. 2WD axles are thicker and have bigger joints. The reason: If you have only 2 axles pushing the car, there will be more stress on them than 4 axles. I actually have one 2WD axle and one 4WD axle on the front of my 4WD Legacy. You can easily tell the difference, the 2WD one is quite thicker.

These axles are from www.cvaxles.com by the way. They are the BEST Subaru axle builders in the world as far as I'm concerned. People in Europe rally with their axles, and they're just a small shop in Ocala, FL, about an hour from me. $55 an axle, tough as nails, true lifetime warranty (I've tested it)...

Hate to inform YOU, but this is EA81 land, not Leganus land. EA81's are 4WD, not AWD, and thus still only have 2 axles pushing the car when in 2WD mode. Not to mention that EA81 axles are WAY thicker than any EA82 or Leganus axle. Besides that here's the data from the FSM:

If you want more proof, I can take pictures of the 20 or so odd axles in various states of assembly in my garage.... I spend hours at the JY dissasembling them in the Subaru isle. My freinds have started calling me the "Axlemaster".

axle_data.jpg

I for one will NEVER buy another remaned axle. They suck - period. The reason is that no remanufacturer ever replaces the outboard housing and the inner race. They replace the cage, and the ball bearings and repack them with grease. This technique may be fine for most brands of axles, but with Subaru in particular it seems to shorten their life span considerably. Remanufacturers are in this to make money - end of subject. If they replaced all the parts with new ones all the time, then they wouldn't make any. And with BRAND NEW axles costing only $89 from Autozone, and the ability to return them locally using only your phone number, a lifetime warrantee, and a guarantee of getting 4WD axles (since they fit the 2WD's, GCK only makes the 4WD axle)...... it really seems a no brainer. Why waste your time for a mere $25??

On a stock rig, assuming the boot remains unbroken, or is replaced and the axle properly filled with grease in a prompt fassion, you should get a good 80 to 100 thousand miles from an axle. The last remaned unit I installed lasted about 10.....

GD

• 2 years later...
Thanks GD,

By admitting that this thread is ancient you are also pointing out that whatever it says cannot be "latest and greatest." Consequently your laboriously typed reply is both uninformative and pointless.

Thanks anyway for trying!

The post is 2 years old, and your car is over 20 years old. That makes anything in this post "latest and greatest" by default. And my reply was very informative. If you notice that I was the one that gave out the information originally in this post - that means my reply was reinforcing what I stated 2 years ago.

Also, you didn't search enough. This has been covered MANY times, and most recently just a few months back it was discussed at length. Brian just recently got his after a LONG discussion in the off-road section. Try searching for more recent posts.

GD