Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Digital Dashboard swap to analogue

Difficult due to completely different wireing, and differeing sending units. You need an analog cluster, analog fuel sending unit, analog temp sending unit, and an analog oil pressure sending unit (you don't have one at all right now, nor the wiring for it). You also need wireing diagrams for both types (FSM is the only place you'll find them I'm afraid), and a LOT of patience. It can be done, but it's nearly impossible to get it totally working in every respect. It would actually be much easier to install after market guages for everything.

GD

Thanks for the replies. Have just found a donar car. Have some electrical diagrams. If I can get it all out of the donar taking digital picks on the way, It will help me in my own vehicle. In the diagrams the fuse box and ignition cables look a little different. Not sure about the speedometer cable but have got this in the donar car. Looks like I'm on my way with the first part of the heart transplant that is the donar. Nothing lost at this stage. Again many thanks and I will keep the forum posted as to the progress.

Have removed cluster and the complete wiring cable without cutting any wires.

This requires taking the fuse box as a whole unit. I did it without removing the dash board. Took the cluster out with speedo cable attached. This was done by disconecting at the transmission and passing it through the bulkhead. Retrieved the fuel sender, water sender and oil sender. All took 2Hrs. Need to remove the glove box and kick plates to gain access to the heater cables. All looks really clean. Ready for the transplant. We removed the switches to headlights and turn indicators on top of stearing column and it comes away with easy colour coded connectors. Also the wiring swatch comes away from the steering column ie ignition switch by a colour coded connector. All that is needed is to cut a few wire ties that connect the cablling to the body bulkhead.

Transplant ready to go. Keep you posted. Have a feeling labeling the cables on the receiving car will help in the installation of the donar cable. Have wiring diagrams of both at the ready. Can't do more than this, so fingers crossed. I have power windows so I'm going to check how this feeds to the fuse box.

It must be independant of the accessories ignition switch as the windows are opperable with car completely turned off.!!

• 5 weeks later...

They are spose to be like that Rick.

I went through and started on this venture at one time with my 84. Real pain in the butt, and for a point of reference, I considered wireing up the 6 into the Brat a piece of cake. I got about 80% done with the project and then scrapped it for a working dash. I like the digital personally, and would rather have it than the analog. Of course I know eventually I will need to learn how to rebuild these buggers (have 3, so can do the trial and error thing). If all else fails, there is a shop down here that does do that conversion for you. I dunno how much though, never bothered to ask.