Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester Off-Roader - Hopes are Crushed

BlueSoob

Recently when I swapped out tires on my 03 Forester, I noticed how wimpy and puny the bars and suspension is under him. UGH! I was crushed... I had distant hopes of making him a little more beefy with a bit of a lift... but when I got a good look at it... and put it into perspective... I'm not sure if it is worth it..

I'm disappointed....

It looks like a Honda CRV set up

If you can get the d/r tranny count me in.

BTW how big were the tires that you put on?

Also, when you say off-roader, what kind of terrain where you thinking of? Trails, mud bogging, rock crawling. I think that if I were to do a mild lift and put on 28-29 inch tires, my OBS would probably do alot better in the mud. I find the ground clearance is my biggest issue.

BW

in it and it would be a lot tougher.But then it would get 10 MPG and not be as nice a daily driver.

Subarus will sometimes go where the big ones won't because they are light and peppy.

I was really surprised when my brother in law told me about a Subaru doing better in the desert than a big Chevy truck his oil company had.

The only limitations in a Subaru are the ones you set for yourself or belive others have set :)

As noted above; there are lots of levels to offroading. Even my lifted GL wagon is just a trail rider and to me that's "Offroading". I'ts no rock climber and I found first hand it's no mud bogger but that doesnt mean they can not be such things. Others have gone to such levels and made the modifications to make it happen.

A Forester would supprise a lot of people with the right nut behind the wheel. :brow: I would have NO worries "offroading" a Forester; or any other Subaru. Got plenty dirty in stock 2WD Subarus. If you are worried about breaking stuff; well then you gotta pay to play... that's offroading !_!

I would lift it without hesitation. The suspension will stand up top allot more abuse than it looks like and should you find a weak component there are pleanty of very tough replacement options in the form of Impreza rally parts that are a direct fit. I would go with 5 inches of lift and 30x12s for starters.

I would lift it without hesitation. The suspension will stand up top allot more abuse than it looks like and should you find a weak component there are pleanty of very tough replacement options in the form of Impreza rally parts that are a direct fit. I would go with 5 inches of lift and 30x12s for starters.

True, the Forrester is made from the Impreza body.

Subarubrat: In regards to the 10 inch lift and 30X12's.. why am I not suprised you would say that..... BTW I would love to see your BRAT first person this winter. Heading to VA in Dec for Christmas.

BW

Lifting it would be the easy part. What would you do about trying to drive it. First gear wouldn't be real happy with big tires on the flat land:burnout:

It would be even worse off-road. I tried climbing with my stock setup and was disappointed. It wouldn't climb it would just kill:banghead:

Lifting it would be the easy part. What would you do about trying to drive it. First gear wouldn't be real happy with big tires on the flat land:burnout:

It would be even worse off-road. I tried climbing with my stock setup and was disappointed. It wouldn't climb it would just kill:banghead:

Hehehe.. I know the feeling.

I am sure as more 2nd gen soob head to the bone yard, people will start moding them more.

BW