Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What Socket

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Craven

Craven

Just a guy with a Brat

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Midland

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:01 PM

What scocket is used to unbolt the axle stubs from the rearend? Looks like a inverted torx.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:08 PM

1/4" drive E10 torx socket..... Snap-On and Matco are the only places I know you can get one. I like the Matco because it's impact rated - Matco part#A10XRA

GD

#3 Craven

Craven

Just a guy with a Brat

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Midland

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:10 PM

1/4" drive E10 torx socket..... Snap-On and Matco are the only places I know you can get one. I like the Matco because it's impact rated - Matco part#A10XRA

GD

Thank you GD
Craven

#4 SubSandRail

SubSandRail

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Tacoma, WA

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:08 PM

I bought a reverse torx socket set from Sears, about $20 for 6 or 8 bits. It included the E10

http://www.sears.com...t=searchresults

#5 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:10 PM

an 8mm 1/4" drive 6-sided socket works too. I've used one to crack 2 of them now, no stripping problems.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 July 2004 - 05:40 PM

The problem with the Sear's set you linked to is that the E10 in that set is a 3/8" drive, and won't fit into the stub axle.... I've found tons of E10's for sale online and locally, but was unable to locate any other dealers that carried the 1/4" drive E10. It's extremely thin wall, and I went with the Matco because it's impact rated - those suckers can be a real beotch to break loose.....

GD

#7 Craven

Craven

Just a guy with a Brat

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Midland

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:36 PM

I tried the 8mm 6 point socket before I asked what to use. It wouldn't hold and I didn't want to moung up the head so the proper socket wouldn't work. After going to 3 auto parts stores, and only finding 3/8" drive E-10's. Ken the counter guy at the last store, after spending quite a while looking in all his tool books, he called his tool dis.. It seems SK has just come out with a deep well 1/4" E-10. But only in a $34 set. But Ken being a great guy said, you buy the one you need and I'll buy the rest. I do believe from now on, I'll buy any parts I need from him.

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:40 PM

The Matco one is only like $8 or something... but it sounds like you got a good deal.

GD

#9 Craven

Craven

Just a guy with a Brat

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Midland

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:03 PM

Ken said 2-3 bucks.

#10 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:37 PM

the stub bolts are grade 10 and very hard metal, but its still possible to round them with the 8mm. My bolts cracked when I kicked the handle of my 1/4" drive ratchet, with no stripping or marring, thats about the extent of my experience.

#11 Craven

Craven

Just a guy with a Brat

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Midland

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the info guys ;)

#12 Craven

Craven

Just a guy with a Brat

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Midland

Posted 22 July 2004 - 10:59 AM

Got my SK 1/4" deep well E10 torx socket today. Sure makes the job easier, when you have the right tool. Ken the parts guy was a little off. $9.50 + tax.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users