Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt exhaust q's

i have a 1985 xt that has no exhaust at all. it goes from the heads to the cat and is cut off or rusted off their. what would be the best way for me to go about this. buy a stock exhaust system for it? just add on to the one thats their and put a 2 in pipe down the back. but i also need to pass emessions though. what should i do.?

You can go to an exhaust shop and see how much they want for exhaust all the way back. For 2" pipe out the back, from the cat back it will be somewhere around $75-$100 i think. or you could just take my full exhuast, as Im going to a gutted turbo exhaust with 2.5" pipe from the turbo/downpipe out the back.

I think a radiator is more important, you can borrow my exhaust to pass emissions, but you may want to make it back home from there as well. Before you throw your $15 in, take it to a shop and have it sniffed to see if it will pass. Dont know how good your electronics are on that beast.

Stock would be the best way to go for emissions, I'm pretty sure any EA82 exhaust will work on it. After emissions, you can gut the cats and put a high flow muffler on, that's the cheapest route for performance if you don't want to go the full custom route.