Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EGR block off for ea82t

Just wondering if this would be a good idea? If it recirculates hot exhaust gases back into the intake manifold, would blocking it off help reduce intake temps? Would the engine still run fine? TIA.
actually the purpous of the egr is to reduce combustion temps by introducing a little unburnable gases at cruise speeds. Egr does not function at idle or full throttle.

I do not recomend it but you may not see any immediate ill effects from adding a block off. just rember combustion temps will be higher.

If you block it off, you may need to move to a different temp of plug to prevent them from being burnt. The combustion temps will be significantly higher at cruise and if sustained for long periods (trips on the freeway) you could end up with white plugs. You may also notice a decrease in the cooling system effeciency at cruise. Make sure your cooling system is up to snuff before trying this. This includes good oil pressure, as the Subaru engines are nearly as much oil cooled as they are water cooled. Might have to switch up to 20w50 if you haven't already.....

There's a lot of consideration that should be put into a change such as this - I personally leave it be. It doesn't rob power, it helps emmissions, and keeps the engine cool under certain circumstances - so what's not to like? You should definately give the EGR valve a good cleaning now and then tho.

GD

i have noticed on 89 and later mpfi turbo the intake has an absence of the egr, or the holes for it for that matter. looks like subaru eliminated it from the mpfi in 89 as stock form. something to consider...maybe find an 89 intake