Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing AT fluid.

I drained it, then started car to get the remaing fluid out of the baffles so that I can start with fresh AT fluid in the entire system, I put in 9.8 qts of fluid, as that is the capacity listing in manual.

Car is leaking the pink stuff now, from somewhere, and hitting the exhaust and smoking up Atlanta. I checked the stick and I am WAY WAY over full. Why am I over full?

It is leaking from some point on the passenger side, and not at the pan gasket, where I would have thought it would leak from first. Where else can it be leaking from and why is 9.8 qts too much when the manual says it?

Changing AT fluid.

I drained it, then started car to get the remaing fluid out of the baffles so that I can start with fresh AT fluid in the entire system, ...

Doing this will ruin some transmissions (I've heard BMW) in very short order. I don't know how Subaru transmissions respond though.

What do you mean by "starting" it? Did you just "bump" it over? Or start the engine? How long did you let it run for?

Even with doing this, there was probably still several quarts left in the transmission. Between the torque converter, cooling lines to radiator, valve body, etc. When you drain one of these transmissions, only about 4 quarts of the full ~10 quart capacity comes out.

Get the level right first by draining the excess, then hope that you haven't done any damage.

Commuter

Ran it for about 1 minute or less. Just long enough for fluid to stop coming out of tanny pan. I got a lot of it out, a lot more than 4 qts. If you are familiar with those large buckets that cat litter comes in, probably 4 gallon bucket, I filled it half the way up, at least, with the old fluid.

Smoke (lots of it) coming out from under car, and oily film now on back window.

Just hope I did not screw something up that I can not fix easily, instead of paying $40 hour to get it done by some schmo.

• 1 year later...

The auto trans fluid change needs to be done by a pro. They hook it up to a pump which drains the old fluid out , and then they flush cleaning agents through it, and then put new fluid in. If it messes up they fix it. thus all the old, burnt fluid is gone. This costs about $120, is that worth ruining your trans over/ Jim