Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

300 HP Subaru Outback???

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mdevine

mdevine

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • New York

Posted 22 July 2004 - 07:32 PM

I am thinking about buying the new Outback GT.

I am not sure if I want to buy this year or wait until next year or later for some features that I want.

- Built in XM radio
- Audio controls on steering wheel for 5 speed turbo engine
- 6 speed manual

I am also thinking of the potential of Subaru bumping the engine to 300 HP since it is the same engine as in the STi.

Would this be possible?

Thanks
Mike

#2 svxpert

svxpert

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • East Coast

Posted 22 July 2004 - 10:16 PM

<<I am also thinking of the potential of Subaru bumping the engine to 300 HP since it is the same engine as in the WRX.>>

the WRX has a 2.0 engine in it. the new turbo legacys have a 2.5 in them. so what exactly do you want to the engine?

#3 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:46 PM

I think he means the STi engine, that is a 2.5 with 300hp.

#4 scooby dooo

scooby dooo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • new england

Posted 23 July 2004 - 07:47 PM

those turbos are not so quick in the lower rpm. i would prefer the h6 3.0 to a turbo 2,5 if i were in the market for a fast outback, that 212 useful hp.

#5 mdevine

mdevine

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • New York

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:39 PM

Not sure about that comment.

The Turbo hits HP peak at a lower RPM and higher torque at a lower RPM(250 lb at 3,600 vs 219 lb at 4,200) then the 3.0R

I am going to hold out for a potential Outback STi.

#6 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 24 July 2004 - 06:13 AM

Apply more boost untill you are happy :drunk:

#7 andrew.anderson

andrew.anderson

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Germany

Posted 24 July 2004 - 07:08 AM

H6 3.0 with turbo? Does that exhist? I want to see the 3.3 H6 the SVX had come back out. Heck, I want to see the SVX rereleased.

#8 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 24 July 2004 - 12:52 PM

For inital cost the 2.5 liter will easily out gun the h6 in hp and torq. All you need to do is upgrade the turbo put a 3inch exhust and you should be able to get a relible 350 horse with some tuning. I would go onto www.nasioc.com they have alot of info on the 2.5 turbo engine mod paths. The only trickey part is the legacy ej25t has the turbo directly conected to the inner cooler some some comtom fab would be required to fit a STi unit or any up grade for the STi. In Europe the Legacy R has the h6 with the 6 speed.

#9 powderhound

powderhound

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • SLC

Posted 24 July 2004 - 01:05 PM

I don't see Subaru bumping the outback to 300. More likely would be increasing the displacement on the H6 for something like 275HP. The H6 has alot of room to grow...I could see 300 NA horses out of that engine easy. What does Porsche get out of their NA H6s? The 2.5 at 300 HP is a balls out four banger...plus I wouldn't trust that thing to last too long. I'd take a tuned out 2.0 WRX engine over the 2.5 any day.

#10 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 24 July 2004 - 01:47 PM

I don't see Subaru bumping the outback to 300. More likely would be increasing the displacement on the H6 for something like 275HP. The H6 has alot of room to grow...I could see 300 NA horses out of that engine easy. What does Porsche get out of their NA H6s? The 2.5 at 300 HP is a balls out four banger...plus I wouldn't trust that thing to last too long. I'd take a tuned out 2.0 WRX engine over the 2.5 any day.

The ej25t in the new STi seems to be holding power fairly well, rember it has a very close power to cubic inch as the ej20t.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users