Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Addition to Subie collection...opinions wanted

Hi,

I saw a 93 loyale 2wd wagon 5 speed sitting they are asking 500 obo, but its been sitting there for about 4 months. The body is in good shape, can't open hood(cable broke) interior good shape, 221,000 miles. In the back of the subie sits a brand new exhaust piece from the engine to the Y and a new axle assembly.My question is how much should I offer em to take it off there hands. I was thinking 250 because at the very least the interior is in alot better shape than my 87 wagon, and the wagon needs 2 tires to pass inspection and the tires are almost new on this wagon.

This leads to my next question,

This wagon body wise is alot better condition than my current wagon inside and out, engine remains to be seen, lady said it had an overheating problem?, but in my current wagon I got a carb which right now is giving me fits.

How hard and how much time would be involved switching my current Auto 4wd tranny to this 93 loyale which is spfi?

Or would you just use this newer subie for parts, right now if i could get it for 250 it gives me a new axle, y pipe, new interior and 4 tires for the current wagon and a new hood for my loyale sedan.

At any rate, if i score on this and decide to part the rest of this out, I'll be sure to let the everyone know in case the may need something.

Opinions please

bigtrout

Your better off putting a 5spd D/R 4wd setup in the car. You will need to install all the running gear anyways, and the MT is better than AT. There are plenty out there so its just a matter of getting your hands on one. But, if $ is a problem and you have no problem with mech'n go ahead and swap the AT in.

Definitely consider 5 speed, s/r or d/r - unless you prefer A/T's.

As far as engine mechanical, I would recommend keeping the fuel delivery system stock - whatever car you decide to go with. SPFI is the superior system, but you may end up with a mess if you attempt to convert from carb to FI.

Everything else should be a straight forward swap. The Loyales had some plusses, but the GL is the better car overall, IMO. I would save as many spare parts as you have room for.

The price of the car may or may not be fair. You really need to do more inspection & troubleshooting before offering only 1/2 of what they are asking.

good luck, John