Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK it just ate my HUGE thread that I spent 10 min typing out. Uuh. Anyway Lets try this again. I have been looking for a legacy sedan with the Awd 5spd tranny for about a month now and finally I have one. And I am HAPPY!!!!! I had it tested at the local emissions place and it passed very fast, within about 13 seconds. It seems to get pretty bad gas milage though and I don't know if its just the gauge because its kind of funky when it gets to about 1/4 of a tank it just drops off to nothing when I stop and slowwwlly comes up to under 1/4 but the light never comes on. I have gone 7 miles total and I put 2.5 gallons in and it went from almost empty to 1/4. So i'm kind of freaking out at what kind of gas milage this thing might be getting. :confused: If it passes emissions doesn't that mean its in pretty good shape and should get in the 20's at least? I can settle for 20mpg in the city but like 3mpg Is not ok with me. It runs really good and it hauls pretty good rump roast. So i'm hoping its just a faulty tank sensor or something. I guess I will fill it up and see how long it takes to go to empty.344720_54_full.jpg

coolness, but why wasn't this posted on legacycentral? for shame :)
Haha I was just about to. I just drove this thing around all over the place and I am very impressed with the power after 4000rpms it really really starts to scoot. I was able to go from 60-90mph very quickly!!! Driving old 80's subarus with ea81 engines i'm not used to this much power haha. Its very fun to drive!!!!! And I was doing this with 2 other people in the car. Woo hoooo and I paid 1500$ for it not bad cause it feels like i'm driving a brand new car. And it gets at least 25mpg cause I went 50 miles today and its still not on E and I only put like 2.5 gallons in.

As far as gas goes, 5 speed all wheel drives operate 50/50 power distribution, with a fluid in the rear that will thicken with wheel spin and lock in the other wheel. It won't have much different gas milage than an auto (2 or 3 mpg more). Automatics work 90/10 until slippage is sensed, then can be up to 50/50. My automatic '95 AWD sedan was averaging about 22 mpg with 125K on it.

As far as it being on E, there is a reserve of about 3 gallons left when the light comes on (if the low fuel light still works).

Just got back from the legacys first rally cross... It did all right it was an extremely bumpy hilly bottom outting course. So I wasn't pushing it because I knew I was going to have more fun on the rally stage on the way home hehe. On the way to the event I hit 90mph on a staight and into a corner. I wasn't expecting this car to grip so well on gravel with pretty much bald 14" tires. Came home, tore out my ac compressor because it doesn't work, woo hoo weight reduction stage 1 haha.

Gonna put on a straight pipe?? Ej22's sound mean with no muffler :cool:
If I knew of an exhaust mod that didn't reduce gas milage and make the car puff out horrible emissions... I would do it. But I think no muffler would reduce hp and gas milage and probably make it run worse. I do want it to sound better and be louder though.

If you retain your cats I dont see why emissions would change much. Just put a cherry bomb in place of the old muffler or something and it shouldnt be too drastic of a change from stock.
But I would be loosing back pressure and the computer is setup to run the injectors with certian back pressure isn't it? Any imput from people like Corky, Subiegal, Qman?

Haha I was just about to. I just drove this thing around all over the place and I a-m very impressed with the power after 4000rpms it really really starts to scoot. I was able to go from 6090mph very quickly!!! Driving old 80's subarus with ea81 engines i'm not used to this much power haha. Its very fun to drive!!!!! And I was doing this with 2 other people in the car. Woo hoooo and I paid 1t 500$ for it nobad cause it feels like i'm driving a brand new car. And it gets at least 25mpg cause I went 50 miles today and its still not on E and I only put like 2.5 gallons in.

Good deal for $1500 thought you were going to pay over $2000. All you have to do to get some great ej22 sound is let your mufflar rust out, or punch a hole it. That legacy i bought for $100 in michigan sounded like a beast with alot of its exhust rusted away and the extremly lound half shaft ticks, (louder than the exhust).

The injectors aren't set for any back pressure!

The camshaft lobes and timing thereof are what relate to back pressure. Back pressure isn't really a good thing in itself.

High power peak engines tend to have a long valve overlap to allow intake gases to flush exhaust gases out of the combustion chamber, and any back pressure will work against this process.

Long overlap isn't popular in cat equipped engines because it allows fuel to travel unburned though the engine...and into the fire-hot cat....BANG!

Therefore, back pressure reductions will only yield marginal gains, and only above say 4000rpm.

A free-flow silencer will probably add about 2-3hp to the EJ22 - but the sound will be unparalled!

A good intake mod will add 8-10hp. Consider that exhaust gases are hot and expanding, they WILL make their way out. Intake air is standing still - so to speak- and the engine must pump it in by itself. Making this easier will help power dramatically. The elaborate intake systems on cars in last ten years is only there to quieten things down. Low end torque will not suffer from opening up the intake system. Just make sure you put the open filter inside the fender to allow it to ingest cool air. And don't neglect the PCV system, your engine's longevitity depends on it!

Oh, open intakes only roar when you accelerate above half throttle, and are mute at cruise. This cannot be said of perfromance silencers, so consider if you can live with the noise on highways.....I CAN!

It seems to get pretty bad gas milage though and I don't know if its just the gauge because its kind of funky when it gets to about 1/4 of a tank it just drops off to nothing when I stop and slowwwlly comes up to under 1/4 but the light never comes on. I have gone 7 miles total and I put 2.5 gallons in and it went from almost empty to 1/4. QUOTE]

if yours is anything like mine, you'll get around 225miles before you need to refuel. my guage does EXACTLY the same thing. no worries.

I'm almost positive that you have a 15.9 gallon tank. One problem you may be having is with the sensors in the tank. I had a problem with the gauge once in my '95 and I was told that there are actually two separate sensors because the tank is split by the AWD shaft (one on each side). Don't know for sure...