Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

rumble + shimmy = ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 roxtar

roxtar

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Warrenton

Posted 24 July 2004 - 07:31 PM

ok, if you read my recent threads, you'll know that i have recently had some suspension work done on my trusty little loyale. I just got it back yesterday and it's picked up a bit of a shimmy which i assume is just an alignment or tire balance problem. it has also developed a slight rumble in the front end. It is also dropping speed a lot faster than it used to when coasting (clutch pushed in). the rumble is most pronounced at around 40-50 mph. could this also be part of my alignment/tire balance problem? should i check out the CV joints? where would you all start?

#2 78TurboBrat

78TurboBrat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Frisco Texas

Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:20 AM

I know that its probably most likely not related, but to some, a rumble and shimmy can mean different things. my 83 brat without the motor running going straight makes a really loud clunking sound when you push the car by hand. if you drive the car it sounds like a deisel rod knock but if you are cruising at a slow enough speed you can feel the front of the car jerk. i have pretty much located my problem being the front diff as i blew the rear one 6 months ago.

but in your case i would think a rumble and shimmy would be tire related since you have had front end work done, and the tires were being worn one way, and now that you have done work to correct things, the tires are going to wear differently allowing you to hear different noises you didnt hear before. try swapping the tires around front to back and so on.

#3 Scoobywagon

Scoobywagon

Evil Genius (tm) for Hire

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  • Bremerton-like

Posted 25 July 2004 - 04:24 AM

Personally, I'd check out the wheel bearings. If they were replaced by the shop, then you've got one set with some wear on one side and a new set on the other. Theoretically, it shouldn't make a difference, but I've seen stranger things.

#4 TomRhere

TomRhere

Certified BRAT nut!!!

• Members
  • 3,975 posts
  • Hillsdale, Mi. USA

Posted 25 July 2004 - 06:08 AM

Another thing to check is your front brakes.

Was driving the '84 yesterday, started do do a shake-n-shimmy after about 3 miles driving. Could feel it in the steering wheeel also. Got to my destination and started to check on things. The PS front brakes were hot, and they were making that noise of cooling off.

About an hour later, I headed back to the house, no problems at first, but it started back up again about 2 miles down the road. Drove it on home, and same thing on the front. Now I have to swap out the caliper and rotor. Will inspect the bearings while I'm at it.

#5 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,094 posts
  • ohio

Posted 25 July 2004 - 06:37 AM

mine does almost the same thing, at 65mpr , when you brake hard the steering will shake alot back and fourth but i am thinking the rotors are warped or pads

#6 lineofbirds

lineofbirds

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Mat-Su Borough

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:15 AM

I had the same sort of prob a few months ago w/my 88 gl wagon, then again in my daughter's '81 BMW320, and also in other Kid's 91 VW Fox, in all three cases it turned out to be tire wear. (new tires for everyone!) on mine it was bkoken cords. I could see the warp in the tire from the front of the car. Same thing on the BMW. We have some horrific potholes up here during break-up (spring thaw). Anyway, I also discovered worn ball joint on the side that had the front tire w/broken cords, and replaced both sides. Hopefully you won't have to go through that hassle.

#7 roxtar

roxtar

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Warrenton

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:08 AM

just took another look at things and it appears that the CV joint boot is damaged. sooooooo a lack of grease could be causing my rumble. in any case, not good. also, i'm losing pressure on the left front tire slowly so perhaps i bent the rim a bit. so now i'm wondering how long i can drive on that cv joint with not grease in it before it fails on me

#8 Scoobywagon

Scoobywagon

Evil Genius (tm) for Hire

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  • Bremerton-like

Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:54 PM

Well, as a point of reference, I got my 83 for free about 4-5 months ago. It had been sitting in a friends yard for nearly a year before that. All 4 CV boots were torn when i got the car and I'm just now getting around to replacing them... about 6000 miles later. They still work, but I've finally got both time and money. :drunk:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users