Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1.8L Ignition timing? - PLEASE Help!

just finished engine swap in my '88 gl wagon, had to change out distributor, can someone tell me what the correct ignition timing should be? (my repair manual was accidentally destroyed recently)... Starts fine, running a little rougher than she used to. I really need my Baby running again. pulled the engine from '86 gl sedan, which, by the way I have available for parts, lots of good stuff left.

Thank you everyone you have all been most helpful! Sorry it took a bit to get back to you all, It was a beautiful day so we had to get some time in out on the lake with the boats, (our season is pretty short, so we have to play when the weather lets us):)

To answer Q's;

Yes, I did get a long block with same compression ratio, and it is single port fuel injected.

Figured out today tho that she's not firing on the #1 cylinder, (no spark through #1 wire). New wires, plugs, cap, and rotor, before I can set the timing. Doesn't appear to be the wire itself as I tried another wire in it's place, to no avail. Of course everything's been sitting for a while. I'm sure she'll be on the road B4 next weekend, maybe she'll be in charge of pulling the boat down to the lake! I'll keep you all posted! Thank You again!

This is an EA82 SPFI and the timing at the distributor is 20 degrees before top dead center. Note Craigs scan at the bottom :)

Also check your fire order 100 times :) It CAN start and run funny with the fire order off. She fires 1 3 2 4 (left head then right head) and your cylinders are clearly labed with raised numbers on the block at each cylinder.

Hope you get her running smooth soon!

checked, double checked, and checked once more per your suggeston:) .

new plugs and wires took care of the #1 cylinder problem. Set timing @ 20 degrees, and she starts right up, lots smoother idle now, much better running, but think she could use a fresh tank of gas. Heading to the station as soon as I get off line. Oh man, I've sure missed her! You wouldn't believe some of the rigs she's pulled out of mud holes, snowbanks and ditches! I've been told so many times "There's no way your little wagon's gonna get my truck outta here!"

I just :grin: and say wanna bet?

You people have all been so great! It sure is nice to know where to go to chat with other subie lovers. Thank you all again!